Computational Hohmann Transfer on MapleSoft

In summary, the person is trying to recreate an Interplanetary Hohmann transfer orbit from Earth to Mars. They have successfully plotted the orbits of both planets using the Verlet Algorithm, but are having trouble with the Hohmann transfer. They have been using an equation to calculate the Delta V needed for the transfer, but it has not been working. They are asking for help with finding other equations and how to use the current equation as a function of both orbits. They are also looking for ways to split the equation into X and Y components.
Lane Dillon
Hi,

I am trying to recreate an Interplanetary Hohmann transfer orbit from Earth to Mars similar to image A below (the red line). However, Earths orbit is not circular, It is more of an elliptical orbit rather than circular. I was able to successfully plot the orbits of both Earth and Mars correctly using the Verlet Algorithm (Image B), but I am having trouble with the Hohmann transfer. So far I've been trying to use the following equation but have not had any luck:

ΔV = sqrt(2*mu(sun)) * sqrt( R2 / (R1 * (R1+R2) ) )
R1 = radius of Earth orbit around sun (Aphelion)
R2 = radius of Mars orbit around sun (Aphelion)

Does anyone have any other possible equations to describe an interplanetary Hohamnn transfer? How would I use the above equation as a function of both orbits (Mars and Earth)? How could I split the above equation into X and Y components?

Thanks for the help!

Image A:
PE4WH.png

Image B:
upload_2018-5-7_22-36-50.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-5-7_22-36-50.png
    upload_2018-5-7_22-36-50.png
    15.1 KB · Views: 567
  • upload_2018-5-7_22-42-8.png
    upload_2018-5-7_22-42-8.png
    22.6 KB · Views: 511
  • PE4WH.png
    PE4WH.png
    12.5 KB · Views: 687
Physics news on Phys.org
Why the equation doesn't work ?

What is a Computational Hohmann Transfer?

A Computational Hohmann Transfer is a mathematical method used to calculate the trajectory and timing for a spacecraft to transfer from one circular orbit to another using only two engine burns. It is named after Walter Hohmann, a German engineer who first proposed the concept in 1925.

What is MapleSoft?

MapleSoft is a software company that specializes in creating mathematical and scientific computation software, including Maple, a popular computer algebra system used for symbolic and numerical calculations.

How does MapleSoft assist with Computational Hohmann Transfers?

MapleSoft provides a specific package called "Maple Orbital" that includes tools and functions for performing calculations related to orbital mechanics, including Computational Hohmann Transfers. This package allows for the easy input of spacecraft and orbital parameters, as well as the visualization of the transfer trajectory.

What are the key steps in performing a Computational Hohmann Transfer on MapleSoft?

The key steps in performing a Computational Hohmann Transfer on MapleSoft include setting up the initial and target orbits, calculating the transfer orbit using the Hohmann transfer equations, and determining the timing and delta-v required for the transfer. MapleSoft also allows for the optimization of the transfer to minimize the required delta-v.

Can MapleSoft be used for more complex orbital maneuvers?

Yes, MapleSoft has advanced capabilities for orbital mechanics, including the ability to perform complex maneuvers such as bi-elliptic transfers and patched conic transfers. These maneuvers can be calculated and visualized using MapleSoft's built-in functions and tools.