1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Computer Architecture (2 Problems)

1. Mar 21, 2009 #1
    need help answering these 2 questions

Q1.
    A hypothetical disk drive has the specifications shown below. Find the average access time for a block (sector) of data.

I want the answer in milliseconds, and you need to reduce your answer to a simple final value.

• 32 sectors per track
    • 3600 RPM speed
    • 7 millisecond average seek time

• CPU has the performance of 800 MIPS.
    • Each transaction requires 2 disk reads plus 2 disk writes.
    • The database software executes 40000 instructions to process a transaction.
    • The operating system uses 15000 instructions for each disk read or write access.
    • The I/O bus and memory are capable of sustaining 1000 MB/sec of data transfer without interfering with the CPU.
    • Each read/write access transfers 100 bytes.

a. What is the peak performance of the CPU in terms of TPS?
    b. What is the peak performance of the I/O bus system in terms of TPS?

Thank you in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2009 #2

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

Okay, so what are your thoughts on these questions?

EDIT: Welcome to Physics forums, by the way. However, the way these forums works is that you need to show some work before we're able to help you out (i.e. we don't give out answers / do your homework for you)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook