Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Computer at risk if I use water cooler?

1. May 29, 2006 #1
    My room is very hot. I plan to use this product to keep my room cool:
    http://tinyurl.com/holqu

Will my computer be at risk if I leave this on almost 24/7?

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2006 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have no idea why your computer would be at risk. At the same time, I'll note that thermodynamics would prevent this Sharper Image product from actually making your room any cooler, on the whole. All it'll do is make your room warmer at night (when it's dissipating 60W), and cooler during the day. Overall, however, it's just dumping 3.3 megajoules of energy into your environment every day:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=(60+watts)+*+14+hours+++(10+watts+*+8+hours)&btnG=Search

- Warren

4. May 29, 2006 #3

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why would that but your computer at risk?

5. May 29, 2006 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think he's misunderstanding the product, thinking it cools with a water mist.

If you read the product description, you can't run it 24/7. It only cools for about 8 hours, then needs to refreeze the water, during which time it will be heating your room back up, as Chroot pointed out. Might as well do it the old-fashioned way of getting a tub of ice and setting a fan to blow over it.

6. May 29, 2006 #5

dav2008

Gold Member

I guess my invention of replacing the freezer door with a box fan is out of the question then? :tongue2:

7. May 29, 2006 #6
    For that price, why not get a 5000 BTU window ac unit that would cool off your room 24/7? The Iceflow needs to refreeze overnight to blow cooled air for eight hours the next day.

8. May 29, 2006 #7

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Boltzmann is spinning in his grave!

- Warren

9. May 29, 2006 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You might still be able to patent and market it, but don't plan on getting rich with it once folks figure out it doesn't work. :rofl:

10. May 29, 2006 #9

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh, it'll seem like it's working for a few hours. Plenty of time to set up a live in-home demonstration, let the mark write the check, and get out of town!

- Warren

11. May 29, 2006 #10
    Window air conditioner is out of the question as I have no opening for it in my room.

12. May 29, 2006 #11

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I can understand why the product is out there. the extra heat dissipated at night will move out into the environment through the walls over those 8 or 10 or 12 hours you dont have it on. Once its god awefully hot, you can run it and it gives you a nice cooling effect.

Getting a brick of ice and running a fan over it sounds like a better idea though.

13. May 29, 2006 #12

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

The product is designed to be used at work. I'm sure no one's company would mind that you'd be offloading some of their air conditioning load (at 1 kW/ton) to your house (at probably 20 kW per ton).

But no, this product will not provide any net cooling for your room at home.

14. May 29, 2006 #13
    If you wanted to, you could set it outside to cool, once cold, just let it run in your room. That would seem to be too much of a hassle though :/

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?