Computer at risk if I use water cooler?

In summary, the product will only cool your room for a few hours at a time, and may not even work at all. It's a waste of money.
NINHARDCOREFAN
My room is very hot. I plan to use this product to keep my room cool:
http://tinyurl.com/holqu

Will my computer be at risk if I leave this on almost 24/7?

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
I have no idea why your computer would be at risk. At the same time, I'll note that thermodynamics would prevent this Sharper Image product from actually making your room any cooler, on the whole. All it'll do is make your room warmer at night (when it's dissipating 60W), and cooler during the day. Overall, however, it's just dumping 3.3 megajoules of energy into your environment every day:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=(60+watts)+*+14+hours+++(10+watts+*+8+hours)&btnG=Search

- Warren

Why would that but your computer at risk?

I think he's misunderstanding the product, thinking it cools with a water mist.

If you read the product description, you can't run it 24/7. It only cools for about 8 hours, then needs to refreeze the water, during which time it will be heating your room back up, as Chroot pointed out. Might as well do it the old-fashioned way of getting a tub of ice and setting a fan to blow over it.

I guess my invention of replacing the freezer door with a box fan is out of the question then? :tongue2:

NINHARDCOREFAN said:
My room is very hot. I plan to use this product to keep my room cool:
http://tinyurl.com/holqu

Will my computer be at risk if I leave this on almost 24/7?

For that price, why not get a 5000 BTU window ac unit that would cool off your room 24/7? The Iceflow needs to refreeze overnight to blow cooled air for eight hours the next day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Boltzmann is spinning in his grave!

- Warren

dav2008 said:
I guess my invention of replacing the freezer door with a box fan is out of the question then? :tongue2:
You might still be able to patent and market it, but don't plan on getting rich with it once folks figure out it doesn't work. :rofl:

Moonbear said:
You might still be able to patent and market it, but don't plan on getting rich with it once folks figure out it doesn't work. :rofl:

Oh, it'll seem like it's working for a few hours. Plenty of time to set up a live in-home demonstration, let the mark write the check, and get out of town!

- Warren

larkspur said:
For that price, why not get a 5000 BTU window ac unit that would cool off your room 24/7? The Iceflow needs to refreeze overnight to blow cooled air for eight hours the next day.

Window air conditioner is out of the question as I have no opening for it in my room.

I can understand why the product is out there. the extra heat dissipated at night will move out into the environment through the walls over those 8 or 10 or 12 hours you don't have it on. Once its god awefully hot, you can run it and it gives you a nice cooling effect.

Getting a brick of ice and running a fan over it sounds like a better idea though.

The product is designed to be used at work. I'm sure no one's company would mind that you'd be offloading some of their air conditioning load (at 1 kW/ton) to your house (at probably 20 kW per ton).

But no, this product will not provide any net cooling for your room at home.

If you wanted to, you could set it outside to cool, once cold, just let it run in your room. That would seem to be too much of a hassle though :/

1. What is a water cooler and how does it affect my computer?

A water cooler is a cooling system that uses water as a heat transfer medium to cool the components of a computer. It is typically used to dissipate heat from the CPU and other components, helping to maintain their optimal operating temperature. However, if not installed or maintained properly, a water cooler can pose a risk to your computer.

2. What are the risks of using a water cooler?

The main risk of using a water cooler is the potential for water leaks. If a leak occurs, water can cause serious damage to the sensitive components of your computer, potentially leading to system failure. Additionally, if the water cooler is not properly installed or maintained, it can introduce moisture into the computer, which can also cause damage.

3. How can I prevent water leaks from a water cooler?

To prevent water leaks, it is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for installation and maintenance. This includes regularly checking for any signs of leaks, such as water puddles or condensation, and replacing any worn or damaged parts. It is also recommended to use a leak-proof water cooler and to place a waterproof mat or tray under the computer as an extra precaution.

4. Are there any alternatives to using a water cooler?

Yes, there are alternative cooling systems for computers, such as air coolers or liquid coolers that use non-conductive fluids. These cooling systems are generally considered safer than water coolers, but may not be as effective at dissipating heat. It is important to research and choose a cooling system that is best suited for your specific computer and usage.

5. Can I still use a water cooler if I take proper precautions?

Yes, it is possible to use a water cooler safely if you take proper precautions and maintain it regularly. This includes installing it correctly, checking for leaks, and replacing any worn or damaged parts. It is also recommended to use a high-quality, leak-proof water cooler and to have a backup cooling system in case of any issues. But keep in mind, there is always a risk involved when using a water cooler, so it is important to weigh the benefits and potential risks before making a decision.