Can adding a second peltier cooler help lower temperatures even further?

• I
  • Thread starter fsonnichsen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Peltier
In summary: Yes-insulation is important. I originally used a plastic junction box for the chamber and it performed poorly. The equilibrium box temperature was about 3 deg lower than room--I added 1/2" and then 1" insulation and that finally worked. Measuring the temperature of the box it is now close to room temperature.I used to use an Andor ICCD with a peltier cooled CCD. The temperature was reported in the software at around -40C. Very sensitive spectro for $200,000.I got into my lab this evening and redid the air cooled version of the box. I better seated the cooler with only very small gaps for he wires. The box is 15L
fsonnichsen
I am using a small peltier cooler (fan on cold side, water cooled on hot side) to lower the temperature of an insulated box. I use this for testing the temperature drift of optical devices. I can get temperatures down to about 10deg C with this but was hoping for around 2deg.

My question is--would adding a second cooler in parallel to the box help? At first glance I would say yes--I am doubling the amount of heat energy I can drawing from the box. But the coolers themselves operate at finite temperatures. The temperature can go no cooler than the cold side of the peltier chip. In that case I would just reach temperature faster--but not lower.

The temperature of the chips-on paper-is something like -50deg. But that is on their surface and this quickly dissipates. It is hard to get an accurate reading of the chip, mounted with fins etc, with the means I have (IR gun, thermocouples). Like a lot of things in the lab, empirical always seems to be the bottom line.

Anyone have some experience with this? I am using tec1-12710 chips.

Thanks
Fritz

Science news on Phys.org
Have a look at the data sheets for the peltier. You'll see that as temperature difference gets larger, heat transfer drops. So yes, adding a second in parallel can help.

Also, how is the water cooling performance - is it doing a good enough job to remove heat?

Thanks Russ.

yes-the water cooling seems to do a good job. I have an air cooled unit with a pair of fans - looks like a jet turbo engine. My water cooled one is small-the cooling cell of course hardly bigger than the chip. It seems to perform a bit better than the air cooled. It is obviously best to use a LOT of water.

I was cooling it the a 70ml / min peristaltic pump and it worked-but the case got hot. I added ice to the cooling water and that helped. I since bought a much faster pump which is on its way here. (I don't have a lab sink but that would be the best coolant).

When a 2nd power supply arrives here I will put a 2nd unit in my chamber and hopefully this will get me down near 2deg.

cheers
fritz

Cool.

FYI, I did a peltier retrofit on an astronomy camera and also turbocharged a tiny peltier fridge I bought online. The fridge gets the cold side (passive/no fan) down below freezing but it needed a lot of insulation to keep the sodas cold. The cooling power at those temps is really small, which is why dual coolers could help. But make sure your insulation/container is solid.

Yes-insulation is important. I originally used a plastic junction box for the chamber and it performed poorly. The equilibrium box temperature was about 3 deg lower than room--I added 1/2" and then 1" insulation and that finally worked. Measuring the temperature of the box it is now close to room temperature.

I used to use an Andor ICCD with a peltier cooled CCD. The temperature was reported in the software at around -40C. Very sensitive spectro for $200,000.

I got into my lab this evening and redid the air cooled version of the box. I better seated the cooler with only very small gaps for he wires. The box is 15L and I used a 10A 12710 chip--I got down to 5 degC and about 4deg if I wait an extra 15 minutes. So I am home free as far as my present needs but when my parts are in I will look at comparing single and double units of the water cooled versions.

The one thing that is a devil is when mounting the unit there is a small amount of the "cool" side exposed to the air and you see condensation. So I am probably gaining heat there--the chip is of course, so thin that it is not practical to insure that the cool side completely sits in the box. I could spray insulating foam around this area but then I risk trapping heat--so probably just leave it as is. I insulated the clamping screws that enter the box using standoffs-probably nylon screws would be better but these are under tension (to clamp the chip/heat sinks) and I have seen a lot of nylon screws fail.

thanks
Fritz

1. What are Peltier coolers?

Peltier coolers are solid-state heat pumps that use the Peltier effect to transfer heat from one side of the device to the other. They consist of two ceramic plates with a layer of semiconductor material in between. When an electrical current is applied, one side of the device becomes cold while the other side becomes hot.

2. How do Peltier coolers work?

Peltier coolers work by utilizing the Peltier effect, which is the phenomenon of heat being absorbed or released when an electrical current is passed through two dissimilar conductors. In Peltier coolers, the two conductors are the ceramic plates and the layer of semiconductor material in between. When an electrical current is applied, the semiconductor material absorbs heat from one side and releases it on the other side, creating a temperature difference.

3. What is the purpose of doubling Peltier coolers?

The purpose of doubling Peltier coolers is to increase their cooling capacity. By stacking two Peltier coolers on top of each other, the temperature difference between the two sides is doubled, resulting in a greater ability to cool or heat a specific area.

4. What are the benefits of using doubled Peltier coolers?

The main benefit of using doubled Peltier coolers is increased cooling capacity. This can be useful in applications where a larger temperature difference is needed, such as in refrigeration or electronic cooling systems. Doubled Peltier coolers also have a smaller footprint compared to traditional cooling methods, making them ideal for compact or space-limited environments.

5. Are there any limitations to using doubled Peltier coolers?

Yes, there are some limitations to using doubled Peltier coolers. One limitation is that they require a significant amount of electrical power to operate, which can lead to higher energy costs. Additionally, doubled Peltier coolers may not be as efficient as other cooling methods, such as traditional refrigeration systems, in certain applications. They also have a limited temperature range and may not be suitable for extreme cooling or heating needs.