Computer Axial Lithography: Just Awesome!

berkeman

Mentor
Looks interesting, but even after watching the video, the new technique wasn't very clear to me. Is the figure built up from the central axis out? Or is it built up over time with multiple coincident laser passes in the volume of the figure? It looks like the resulting figure is transparent -- is that needed for the process to work?

So much science here! Feeling a bit like star trek!

I think the device builds out from the axis otherwise youd have liquid inside the figure.

Notice they have to do controlled rotation of the liquid as they hit it with the three light sources.

Each light source by itself cant solidify the liquid only when all three hit it will that spot turn solid.

Also i think the liquid needs to be somewhat transparent or translucent for it to work.

It reminds me of the plastic educator device in the movie Forbidden Planet where your thoughts are made into animated 3D images.

https://goo.gl/images/q78zxY

You know that would be an interesting idea of a 3D printer that rotated the stock under the extrusion nozzle to build axial shapes.

The nozzle would traverse on the x axis while the stock rotated on the same x axis kind of like athe only stuff is put on not taken off.

In my experience, a true test for a 3d printer is to print a 1/4 inch bolt and a 1/4 inch nut, and after it's done screw them together.
A soft version of Rodan's Thinker is no test for precision, constitency, and integrity of form.
The innovative new medium is exciting, but I'm disappointed that keen minds, considered that as a valid example.
I would challenge them to my test, or concede the technology as more development time in it's future.

FYI. I print specialty nuts and bolts in nylon, with a Lulzbot Taz 5.

For sure your test is a good one as a measure of precision.

The new method does things in minutes instead of hours and thats why folks are so excited. Also i dont know how durable the new solid is.

Baluncore

Science Advisor
Also i dont know how durable the new solid is.
Durability is not important if you use the object as a plug for lost-wax casting of a metal or resin.

This is true my comment was in reference to making a usable nut and bolt which needs some durability.

However i think the process is more for fast prototyping objects for design.

LURCH

Science Advisor
I was very interested in what he said about reversing the process of a CAT scan; made me wonder if they will find a way to replace the light projection with interacting graduated magnetic fields, to fashion things out of ferrous materials. As is, it appears the printer can only make things out of this one resin.

Also I would imagine that the emitters will be replaced with something more like phased-array or synthetic-aperture radar, so the object being printed can sit still, and the emitters rotate virtually.

The Physics Forums Way

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving