Computer Engineer going into Simulation and Modelling

In summary, the computer engineering student feels as if they've hit a dead end and seeks career advice. He is interested in the field of scientific computing, but is open to other programs as well. He would like to know what kind of masters degree would allow him to use computers to model problems.
Chubigans
Hey all. I feel as if I've dug myself into a dead end and I'd appreciate some career advice.

I'm a senior computer engineering student with a 3.8 GPA at a decent engineering school. I chose the major to further understand the mysteries of computers. I enjoyed learning what I did, because now I have an in-depth understanding of computers.

I've had two different software development internships: One on a large DotNET application development team, and one where I was the sole developer of a logistics application. Both involved building forms, writing SQL queries, and dealing with loads of data. Data in, report out. I am constantly asking my coworkers how they can enjoy dealing with such bland stuff when they could be doing science! Their lack of response makes me think that maybe I'm in the wrong field.

I want to use this computer literacy as a tool to work on interesting real-world problems. The problems that interest me all share one thing in common: modelling. I think my true joy is using a computer to model a system. Basically, I want to
  1. Examine a system
  2. Develop a theory for how it works
  3. Simulate an experiment with a computer
  4. Examine my results and make an inference

My main experience with modelling is through AI/robotics, as I took a class on it and did a semsester of research in it. I absolutely loved it. But I'm also interested in physical models (like stress, strain, failure models), or weather systems. Another good example is a circuit simulator. Or a video game. An interesting thing to me is modelling the psychological behavior of humans. The game of life is very interesting to me. Biological models. The list goes on.

The question I'm looking to get answered by PhysicsForums is this: What kind of masters programs would a computer engineering undergrad be qualified for that involve using computers to model problems? Could I go for computer science, applied mathematics, physics, or an interdisciplinary simulation program such as http://www.ist.ucf.edu/?

Physics news on Phys.org
Chubigans said:
The question I'm looking to get answered by PhysicsForums is this: What kind of masters programs would a computer engineering undergrad be qualified for that involve using computers to model problems? Could I go for computer science, applied mathematics, physics, or an interdisciplinary simulation program such as http://www.ist.ucf.edu/?

Sounds like your interested the field known as scientific computing? It's quite an interdisciplinary area of study, you can kind of do lots of different things, so usually best to focus on a few specific areas.

If this is the case id study computer science / applied mathematics I kind of have the same interest as you. I also am interested in scientific computing but also algorithm development. I am currently doing applied mathematics and will follow up with computer science. Or if you can find it scientific computing degree.

Check this out:

http://www.cse.gatech.edu/

GaTech has one of the top CS programs in the country. This program allows you to do a 'computational science & engineering' degree with a concentration in any applied field such as biology, aerospace engineering, scientific computing, etc.

I don't know what country you're in but for graduate school where one does research one often applies more to a specific professor rather than a department or program. If you are in a country where this is the norm I would suggest going through departmental websites and looking at the research interests of specific faculty members. If you find some that interest you send that prof an e-mail stating your background and interest in this field of work and whether they're interested in taking on a new student with your background. If they say yes than apply to that school.

I can understand your frustration with feeling stuck in a dead end and wanting to use your skills and knowledge to tackle more interesting and challenging problems. It's clear that you have a passion for using computers to model systems and you have experience with AI/robotics and other types of modelling.

In terms of your question about what kind of masters programs you could pursue, there are many options that could align with your interests. Computer science, applied mathematics, and physics all have applications in simulation and modelling, so those could be good options to consider. Interdisciplinary programs, such as the one at UCF, could also be a great fit for your interests as they combine different fields and allow for a more diverse approach to problem-solving.

I would also recommend reaching out to professors or researchers in these fields to get their insights and advice on potential graduate programs. They may also have opportunities for you to get involved in current research projects and gain more hands-on experience in simulation and modelling.

Overall, I would encourage you to continue pursuing your passion for modelling and don't be afraid to explore different options and fields to find the right fit for you. With your strong academic background and experience, I am confident you will find success in whichever path you choose. Best of luck to you!

1. What is the role of a computer engineer in simulation and modelling?

A computer engineer in simulation and modelling is responsible for creating and designing computer programs and systems that simulate real-world scenarios and phenomena. They use their knowledge of computer hardware and software to develop models that can accurately represent complex systems and processes.

2. What skills are necessary for a computer engineer in simulation and modelling?

A computer engineer in simulation and modelling must have a strong understanding of computer programming languages, as well as knowledge of algorithms and data structures. They should also have a good understanding of mathematical concepts and be able to apply them to create accurate models.

3. What industries utilize simulation and modelling techniques?

Simulation and modelling techniques are used in a wide range of industries, including aerospace, defense, healthcare, transportation, and manufacturing. These techniques are used to simulate and optimize complex systems and processes, saving time and resources in the development and testing stages.

4. What are the benefits of using simulation and modelling in engineering?

Using simulation and modelling in engineering allows for more accurate and efficient testing of systems and processes. It also allows for the exploration of different scenarios and variations without the need for physical prototypes, saving time and money. Additionally, simulation and modelling can help identify potential issues or flaws in a system design early on, allowing for adjustments to be made before production.

5. How is simulation and modelling different from traditional engineering methods?

Simulation and modelling use computer software and algorithms to create virtual models and simulations, whereas traditional engineering methods rely on physical prototypes and testing. This allows for faster and more cost-effective testing and optimization of systems and processes. Simulation and modelling also allow for the exploration of complex scenarios that may not be possible or practical to test in real life.