Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Computer exploration of fundemental constants

1. Aug 12, 2016 #1
    Hi, I'm a retired computer programmer (of mostly business applications). I wondered if anyone could tell me if anyone has used programming to investigate the dimensionless physical/mathematical constants in a random way. By random way I mean: write a program to randomly generate an equation --randomly selecting operators, operands, equation length, etc, and testing if the result approximates zero or another dimensionless constant. If the computer found such a hit, it could flag the equation for later review and keep on exploring.

Of course the idea is that after trillions of equations it is possible a new fundamental law could be found, or at least it could provide fodder for new research.

I actually did write a program like this several years ago, and got some hits, but I didn't have the physics chops to tell if I really found anything (and I left it off as a project to take up later).

Certainly this is not a new idea(?) Can someone point me at people that do this type of research?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2016 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Do you mean like the speed of light in miles per second and the speed of light in feet per second differ by exactly 5280?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted