1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Computer Networking: Worst Case Scenario

1. Jan 28, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Router architecture. Consider a router with a T1 serial interface and two 100 Mbps Ethernet interfaces. The router has a 1 GB buffer for storing packet traffic. Calculate, in the worst case, how long the router can sustain loss-less operations. Define carefully what traffic pattern will result in the worst case scenario.

3. The attempt at a solution
    It has been a while since I've done anything with networking. I am pretty sure this is not as simple as if the two interfaces are both inputting 100 Mbps, the queue would get filled in 5 msec. I know the cpu will process some of the packets, but I do not quite remember everything

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2016 #2
    If you think you can download 1GB of data in 5 msec over 2 100Mbps lines you are going to be disappointed next time you download a movie...

100Mbps is how many MBps? And how many MB in a GB?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted