Computer science and physics double major with math minor?

In summary, the conversation discusses the considerations and advice for pursuing a double major in computer science and physics, along with a minor in math. The importance of speaking with an academic advisor, planning out courses, maintaining a good GPA, and considering one's interests and goals in education are emphasized. The conversation also touches on the importance of staying well-rounded and exploring one's interests in high school before committing to a specific path in university.
Themaster123
Is it managable?What are your thougths?First post btw.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF.

What are your career goals that lead you to consider that course of study? Just curious. :smile:

Likes Themaster123
Research postions in quantum computing,artificial intelligence etc.Not exactly sure rigth now.

That sounds ambitious in my opinion, but it's always difficult to tell. A lot really depends on the specifics of the program(s), how you learn, and what your other commitments are. With respect to the latter points, you may not really know those details until you get there.

Some points to consider...
  1. Make an appointment and talk this over with your academic advisor if you have one. This person will be a lot more familiar with your specific school, program, courses, etc. than random people on the internet.
  2. Think about what you really want out of your education. It's not a game where the person who comes out with the most credentials wins. One of the big reasons to consider a double major is to keep graduate school options open in both subjects when you are finished. There may be other reasons for a double major in computer science and physics - maybe you want to keep physics grad school open, but keep your employment options open for positions requiring a computer science degree as well. But how does the math minor fit into all of that? Will it gain you anything in the end?
  3. Take some time and plan out your courses if you take this path (or others). Look through the course calendar and choose your courses as you would. What electives will you have open? What courses are ones that you would not be interested in, but need for each major?
  4. One of the consequences of double majors or minors is that you tend to sacrifice flexibility in course options for the credential. This can be fine if given all options, these courses are the ones that you would want to take, but many people need/want a little more variety in their education. Personally I found I learned best when I had at least one non-STEM course in my bag for the semester. Others find they learn better when completely immersed in STEM courses.
  5. Kind of a 4b, you also have to consider the consequences on your GPA. If you're overloading, for example, that can hurt your GPA unless you are extremely good at time management and self-discipline. It looks better to have a high GPA in a single major than a mediocre one in a double major when it comes to graduate and scholarship applications.
  6. What decisions do you have to make right NOW? It may be possible to enroll in a single major for your first year and take courses that will also qualify you for the CS major as well. A lot of STEM programs have fairly common first year requirements. This can let you gauge whether or not committing to an ambitious program is a good idea for you.

Likes Themaster123
Themaster123 said:
Research postions in quantum computing,artificial intelligence etc.Not exactly sure rigth now.
I just noticed in your Profile page that you are 15 y/o and in high school. Normally that would make you a freshman, but if you skipped some grades you may be in the middle of applying to universities. What year in high school are you?

If you are a few years away from heading off to college, I'd recommend just learning lots about the fields you are interested in for now. Read about current research activities in those fields, and find things that are exciting to learn more about. Then start learning about the backgrounds of the researchers and scientists who are doing that work. That may help you to start forming a more concrete idea of the path you want to take at university.

Keep up the interest in STEM, and be sure to participate in sports and extracurricular activities in high school. IMO, it's good to stay well rounded, especially in high school. :smile:

Likes Themaster123
Thanks for each advice.

Likes berkeman
Choppy said:
That sounds ambitious in my opinion, but it's always difficult to tell. A lot really depends on the specifics of the program(s), how you learn, and what your other commitments are. With respect to the latter points, you may not really know those details until you get there.

Some points to consider...
  1. Make an appointment and talk this over with your academic advisor if you have one. This person will be a lot more familiar with your specific school, program, courses, etc. than random people on the internet.
  2. Think about what you really want out of your education. It's not a game where the person who comes out with the most credentials wins. One of the big reasons to consider a double major is to keep graduate school options open in both subjects when you are finished. There may be other reasons for a double major in computer science and physics - maybe you want to keep physics grad school open, but keep your employment options open for positions requiring a computer science degree as well. But how does the math minor fit into all of that? Will it gain you anything in the end?
  3. Take some time and plan out your courses if you take this path (or others). Look through the course calendar and choose your courses as you would. What electives will you have open? What courses are ones that you would not be interested in, but need for each major?
  4. One of the consequences of double majors or minors is that you tend to sacrifice flexibility in course options for the credential. This can be fine if given all options, these courses are the ones that you would want to take, but many people need/want a little more variety in their education. Personally I found I learned best when I had at least one non-STEM course in my bag for the semester. Others find they learn better when completely immersed in STEM courses.
  5. Kind of a 4b, you also have to consider the consequences on your GPA. If you're overloading, for example, that can hurt your GPA unless you are extremely good at time management and self-discipline. It looks better to have a high GPA in a single major than a mediocre one in a double major when it comes to graduate and scholarship applications.
  6. What decisions do you have to make right NOW? It may be possible to enroll in a single major for your first year and take courses that will also qualify you for the CS major as well. A lot of STEM programs have fairly common first year requirements. This can let you gauge whether or not committing to an ambitious program is a good idea for you.
I know that It can hurt my gpa,But it may open more academic/professional opportunitites.Actually, I am 2 years away from collage and would be able to decide in this time period.Thanks for advice again!

berkeman said:
I just noticed in your Profile page that you are 15 y/o and in high school. Normally that would make you a freshman, but if you skipped some grades you may be in the middle of applying to universities. What year in high school are you?

If you are a few years away from heading off to college, I'd recommend just learning lots about the fields you are interested in for now. Read about current research activities in those fields, and find things that are exciting to learn more about. Then start learning about the backgrounds of the researchers and scientists who are doing that work. That may help you to start forming a more concrete idea of the path you want to take at university.

Keep up the interest in STEM, and be sure to participate in sports and extracurricular activities in high school. IMO, it's good to stay well rounded, especially in high school. :smile:
Thanks for advice!I am going to listen to your advice(s)I think,they seem logical.Btw,I am very close to finishing 2nd year,then only 3rd and 4th years left to graduate.

Likes berkeman
Hello there!

Upon reading the above replies I noticed that you haven't yet taken any course on the subjects and that you are not in university yet. I think that in your first year there take a course in each of those fields and see if you like it or not. People change in college. I wanted to do a physics and computer science double major but I preferred math. So you should never go there with a fixed plan in your head that you want to achieve. Keep your options open and go with the flow of your preferences.

Hope this helps!
And good luck.

Likes Themaster123 and berkeman
jamalkoiyess said:
Hello there!

Upon reading the above replies I noticed that you haven't yet taken any course on the subjects and that you are not in university yet. I think that in your first year there take a course in each of those fields and see if you like it or not. People change in college. I wanted to do a physics and computer science double major but I preferred math. So you should never go there with a fixed plan in your head that you want to achieve. Keep your options open and go with the flow of your preferences.

Hope this helps!
And good luck.
thanks for your time!I'll keep my options open.

Likes jamalkoiyess

1. What is the benefit of pursuing a double major in computer science and physics with a minor in math?

A double major in computer science and physics with a minor in math offers a diverse and interdisciplinary education. It allows students to develop a strong foundation in both computer science and physics, while also gaining a quantitative and analytical understanding through the math minor. This combination of skills is highly sought after in industries such as technology, engineering, and finance.

2. How do computer science and physics complement each other in a double major?

Computer science and physics have many overlapping concepts and applications. For example, both fields heavily rely on mathematics and problem-solving skills. Additionally, computer science techniques are widely used in physics research and simulations. By studying both subjects, students can gain a deeper understanding of the underlying principles and connections between these two disciplines.

3. Is it difficult to balance the workload of a double major and minor?

Yes, pursuing a double major and minor can be challenging, as it requires a significant amount of time and effort. However, with proper time management and organization, it is possible to balance the workload. It is also important to prioritize and communicate with professors to ensure a manageable course load.

4. What career opportunities are available for graduates with a double major in computer science and physics and a minor in math?

Graduates with this combination of majors and minor have a wide range of career options. They can pursue careers in fields such as software development, data science, research, engineering, and finance. The strong analytical and problem-solving skills gained from this education also make graduates highly competitive for graduate studies in various fields.

5. Are there any specific skills or courses that are recommended for students pursuing this double major and minor?

Students pursuing a double major in computer science and physics with a minor in math should have a strong foundation in mathematics, including calculus and linear algebra. Courses in programming, data structures, and algorithms are also highly recommended. Additionally, students should have a strong interest in both computer science and physics, as well as a passion for problem-solving and critical thinking.