Computer Science or Mechanical Engineering?

In summary: If you're interested in Physics then maybe you should go down that route instead. In summary, the conversation discusses the choice between Computer Science and Mechanical Engineering in terms of pay package and potential career opportunities in India and worldwide. The individual also questions whether they should pursue an M.B.A. or M.S. after completing their B.Tech in either of these branches. They also express their interest in finding a branch related to Physics and their hesitation towards learning computer languages. They seek advice on how to determine their interest in Computer Science and mention that their college is excellent, making the decision of which branch to choose the only problem.
zorro
Which branch has a bigger scope (in terms of pay package) in India and Worldwide - C.Sc. or Mechanical Engineering? Which one is better - M.B.A. or M.S. after B.Tech. in any of the above branches? How do I find out if I have interest in Computer Science Engineering?

Although I have interest in computers, I don't like learning computer languages which I never did. But people (computer engineers) are convincing me to opt for C.Sc. saying that you will gain interest as you progress. Does my interest at this stage matter? I want a branch which is some what related to Physics (like Mech., EEE etc).

Please note that my college is very good and the only problem lies in deciding the branch.

Physics news on Phys.org
Abdul Quadeer said:
Which branch has a bigger scope (in terms of pay package) in India and Worldwide - C.Sc. or Mechanical Engineering? Which one is better - M.B.A. or M.S. after B.Tech. in any of the above branches? How do I find out if I have interest in Computer Science Engineering?

Although I have interest in computers, I don't like learning computer languages which I never did. But people (computer engineers) are convincing me to opt for C.Sc. saying that you will gain interest as you progress. Does my interest at this stage matter? I want a branch which is some what related to Physics (like Mech., EEE etc).

Please note that my college is very good and the only problem lies in deciding the branch.

If you want to learn Computer Science then you have no choice but to learn programming languages. Maybe you don't like the way you've been taught computer programming. I'd suggest looking on some online resources and perhaps learn a 'simpler' language than C or Java if you're unsure at this stage.

Every university presents Computer Science differently. Again, maybe you should check out some online lectures to see if this looks interesting. http://www.cosmolearning.com/computer-science/courses/

EE and Mechanical Engineering are so much more physics based than Computer Science.

What is the difference between computer science and mechanical engineering?

Computer science is a field that involves the study of computers and computational systems, including their theory, design, development, and application. Mechanical engineering, on the other hand, is a field that focuses on the design, development, and operation of mechanical systems, such as machines, engines, and tools. While both fields involve problem-solving and critical thinking, they have different applications and use different tools and techniques.

What kind of jobs can I get with a degree in computer science or mechanical engineering?

With a degree in computer science, you can pursue careers in software development, data analysis, cybersecurity, artificial intelligence, and more. On the other hand, a degree in mechanical engineering can lead to careers in fields such as product design, manufacturing, automotive engineering, aerospace engineering, and more.

Is computer science or mechanical engineering a better major for job prospects?

Both computer science and mechanical engineering are in high demand and offer many job opportunities. It ultimately depends on your interests and skills. If you enjoy working with computers and technology, computer science may be a better fit. If you have a passion for designing and building physical systems, mechanical engineering may be a better choice.

Do I need to have strong math skills to major in computer science or mechanical engineering?

Both computer science and mechanical engineering require a solid foundation in math. Computer science involves complex algorithms and mathematical concepts, while mechanical engineering involves applying mathematical principles to design and analyze mechanical systems. However, with dedication and hard work, anyone can improve their math skills and succeed in either field.

What kind of projects will I work on as a computer science or mechanical engineering major?

As a computer science major, you may work on projects such as developing software, designing algorithms, creating databases, or building websites. As a mechanical engineering major, you may work on projects such as designing and building machines, conducting experiments, or analyzing and optimizing systems. Both fields offer a wide range of project opportunities and allow for creativity and innovation.