Computer Engineering - Electrical Eng. & Computer Science?

In summary, the conversation is about the decision of choosing a major in computer engineering, electrical engineering, or computer science with a concentration in software engineering or mechatronics. The conversation covers topics such as the definition of computer engineering, the interdisciplinary nature of robotics, potential career paths for EE majors, and the perspective from which AI is taught. The speaker also mentions that it is possible to take classes outside of one's major as long as prerequisites are met, and suggests that a double major in computer science and electrical engineering would provide a strong foundation for pursuing AI. Overall, the conversation emphasizes the importance of having a broad base of knowledge and not worrying about being a "jack of all trades."
AceTrainerBlue
Is majoring in computer engineering the same as doing a double major in electrical engineering and computer science?

Hi,

I'm having difficult choosing my major as an upcoming freshmen at the University of Waterloo. I'm very interested in both the hardware and software aspects of computers, but I'm more interested in the software that designs the "brain" of the computer. Let's say 40% hardware and 60% software.

I've been searching around for a while on the Internet and noticed a common trend that a lot of professors at schools such as MIT and CalTech who specialize in artificial intelligence have both a computer science and an electrical engineering degree. Not to mention, the two most popular majors for a lot of tech schools are computer science and electrical engineering.

Based off that observation, I'm uncertain if I should do a double major in electrical engineering and computer science or just do computer engineering because it seems to me, from what I've read across on PhysicsForum and Google, that computer engineering incorporates both.

I'm also having a good interest in robotics in which my university offers mechatronics as a concentration. However, I've always disliked and stayed away from doing double majors or interdisciplinary fields for I fear that I would be a jack of all trades but a master of none. If I were to do computer science and perhaps have a concentration in software engineering, perhaps I could become more adept for creating AI?

So it goes to this...

Major in Computer Engineering, concentration in software engineering or mechatronics?
Major in Computer science, concentration in software engineering?
Double major in Electrical Engineering & Computer Science?

I hope this makes sense. 60% Artificial Intelligence, 40% RoboticsAce

Physics news on Phys.org
First off the jack of all trades quote is very often left short.
the actual quote goes...jack of all trades, master of none, better than master of one
Don't worry about being a jack of all trades now. Many people get a degree and then work in a completely different field. having a broad base is good.

I would call computer engineering simply as digital hardware engineering, and the software necessary to make the hardware work. Anything beyond that is either comp sci/software or electrical. That being said, comp engineering departments often teach classes in the other areas.

Now let's get to robotics . Often these classes are taught from multiple perspectives in multiple disciplines. You can look at the controls and actuation from an electrical/computer prospective, the 'brains' from a software prospect, or systems from any of them. Also don't forget that often EE majors go on to work in software or systems.

I don't know too much about AI. I do know that is it most often taught from a software prospective, however it is often in the electrical engineering department under the 'controls' discipline.

What a concentration does is it chooses your electives for you. No one is saying you can't be an EE and take computer science classes, as long as you meet the prereqs. Even then, sometimes the professor will wave the requirements if you seem up to the challenge and have a semi-appropriate background. I wouldn't worry about choosing a concentration just yet. as far as major, if you really want to do AI, comp sci and EE would be a good bet. You would have a nice wide base to start from and could tailor your electives to AI. It wouldn't be bad to do just one or the other.

Likes wattsAndSquats
donpacino said:
First off the jack of all trades quote is very often left short.
the actual quote goes...jack of all trades, master of none, better than master of one
Don't worry about being a jack of all trades now. Many people get a degree and then work in a completely different field. having a broad base is good.

I would call computer engineering simply as digital hardware engineering, and the software necessary to make the hardware work. Anything beyond that is either comp sci/software or electrical. That being said, comp engineering departments often teach classes in the other areas.

Now let's get to robotics . Often these classes are taught from multiple perspectives in multiple disciplines. You can look at the controls and actuation from an electrical/computer prospective, the 'brains' from a software prospect, or systems from any of them. Also don't forget that often EE majors go on to work in software or systems.

I don't know too much about AI. I do know that is it most often taught from a software prospective, however it is often in the electrical engineering department under the 'controls' discipline.

What a concentration does is it chooses your electives for you. No one is saying you can't be an EE and take computer science classes, as long as you meet the prereqs. Even then, sometimes the professor will wave the requirements if you seem up to the challenge and have a semi-appropriate background. I wouldn't worry about choosing a concentration just yet. as far as major, if you really want to do AI, comp sci and EE would be a good bet. You would have a nice wide base to start from and could tailor your electives to AI. It wouldn't be bad to do just one or the other.
Whew! You gave me a lot of information!

Things I Got From You:
1) Don't worry about being a jack of all trades, people work in a completely different field, broad base is good
2) Computer Engineering = Digital Hardware Engineering, anything beyond is EE&CS
3) Robotics are taught in multiple perspectives in multiple disciplines
4) EE majors often work in software systems
5) AI is taught in software perspective, under EE department
6) You can be an EE and take CS classes, as long as you meet prereqs or professor...

Are you recommending to do a double major in computer science AND electrical engineering? My university says that it's 5 years for Electrical and 4-5 years for Computer Science. Since most people don't graduate in 4 years, it's okay. I want to be able to take my time which is likely it will take me 6 years. Is 6 years too long? I could always go to the computer engineering route where it's five years (6 for me) which is basically a combination of electrical engineering and computer science.

Last edited:
Bump!

May someone please help me? I'm still confused.

AceTrainerBlue said:
Whew! You gave me a lot of information!

Things I Got From You:
1) Don't worry about being a jack of all trades, people work in a completely different field, broad base is good
2) Computer Engineering = Digital Hardware Engineering, anything beyond is EE&CS
3) Robotics are taught in multiple perspectives in multiple disciplines
4) EE majors often work in software systems
5) AI is taught in software perspective, under EE department
6) You can be an EE and take CS classes, as long as you meet prereqs or professor...

Are you recommending to do a double major in computer science AND electrical engineering? My university says that it's 5 years for Electrical and 4-5 years for Computer Science. Since most people don't graduate in 4 years, it's okay. I want to be able to take my time which is likely it will take me 6 years. Is 6 years too long? I could always go to the computer engineering route where it's five years (6 for me) which is basically a combination of electrical engineering and computer science.

first, take any free advice with a grain of salt. at the end of the day make the decision that feels right

1. yeah basically. Undergrad is just a base. whether you accept it or not, you won't be a 'master' in anything with olny 4 years of school

2. basically. a lot of times the curriculum covers low level embedded software too.

3. yes

4. yes

5. at my school a lot of the classes were under the EE discipline. It depends on the school and the actual field of AI. at most schools it will prob be under the comp sci department.

6. yes

If your heart is set on AI, you could probably do any of the three majors and enter the field. in robotics, it depends on what you want to do. ee would be controls, mechanics, or hardware oriented, with some software. computer engineering owuld be digital hardware/software oriented, and comp sci would be software

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between computer engineering and electrical engineering?

Computer engineering focuses on the design and development of computer systems and their components, while electrical engineering focuses on the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism.

2. What skills are needed for a career in computer engineering?

A strong foundation in mathematics and programming, as well as problem-solving, critical thinking, and communication skills are essential for a career in computer engineering. Other important skills include attention to detail, creativity, and the ability to work in a team.

3. What is the job outlook for computer engineering?

The job outlook for computer engineering is very positive, with a projected growth rate of 5% from 2019 to 2029, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. This is due to the increasing demand for computer systems and technology in various industries.

4. What is the role of computer engineering in artificial intelligence?

Computer engineering plays a crucial role in the development of artificial intelligence (AI) systems. Computer engineers design and develop the hardware and software components that are essential for AI systems to function, such as processors, memory, and algorithms.

5. What are some common career paths for computer engineering graduates?

Computer engineering graduates can pursue careers in various industries, including technology, telecommunications, manufacturing, and healthcare. Some common job titles for computer engineering graduates include software engineer, hardware engineer, network engineer, and systems analyst.