Computer Science PhD with Mathematics MSc

Some may require a degree in computer science, while others may consider a degree in a related field such as mathematics. It may also depend on the specific area of machine learning you are interested in. Generally, a degree in computer science may be preferred for certain industry positions, while a degree in mathematics may be preferred for research or academic positions. Ultimately, the decision will depend on your individual goals and the requirements of the specific PhD programs you are interested in.
function22
Hello,

If I have an MSc degree in mathematics specializing in machine learning, is it possible to enter a PhD program in computer science (also specializing in machine learning)? Will the fact that my degree is in mathematics and not computer science prevent me from doing that? I have heard of people (in my city, a few years ago) who did a degree in mathematics and then did a graduate degree in a different field (like electrical engineering with cryptography focus or economics, without any degree in that other field), so this seems to be possible. How easy/difficult would it be to get into the CS PhD program (considering my area of specialty is the same)?

In addition, what are the differences in employability for a computer science PhD and a mathematics PhD, with both of them being in machine learning? Is one degree or the other preferred by different sectors?

Physics news on Phys.org
You should contact the specific schools you are considering. Entrance requirements vary for PhD programs.

1. What is the difference between a Computer Science PhD and a Mathematics MSc?

A Computer Science PhD focuses on research and the development of new technologies and theories in the field of computer science. It requires a deep understanding of computer systems, algorithms, and programming languages. On the other hand, a Mathematics MSc focuses on advanced mathematical concepts and their applications, such as statistics, optimization, and modeling.

2. How does a Mathematics MSc complement a Computer Science PhD?

A Mathematics MSc can provide a strong foundation in mathematical concepts and techniques that are essential for advanced research in computer science. It can also help in understanding and solving complex problems in areas such as machine learning, data science, and cryptography.

3. What are the career opportunities for someone with a Computer Science PhD and Mathematics MSc?

Having both a Computer Science PhD and Mathematics MSc can open up a wide range of career opportunities in industries such as technology, finance, research, and academia. Some potential job titles include data scientist, research scientist, software engineer, and university professor.

4. How long does it take to complete a Computer Science PhD with Mathematics MSc?

The duration of a Computer Science PhD with Mathematics MSc program can vary depending on the university and individual progress. On average, it takes around 4-6 years to complete a Computer Science PhD and 1-2 years to complete a Mathematics MSc, so the combined program can take 5-7 years to complete.

5. What skills are required to succeed in a Computer Science PhD with Mathematics MSc program?

To succeed in this program, one should have a strong background in computer science and mathematics, as well as excellent problem-solving and critical thinking skills. It is also important to have a passion for research and the ability to work independently and collaborate with others in a team.