1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Computing an optimum portfolio for a CARA utility function

1. Oct 29, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    ##u(x)=1-e^{-ax}##.
    Random variable ##Y\in\mathbb{R}^d## is a multivariate normal distribution with mean vector ##m## and invertible covariance matrix ##\Sigma##.
    Task: Find ##\xi^*\in\mathbb{R}^d## that maximises ##\mathbb{E}u(\xi\cdot Y)## over ##\xi##.

2. Relevant equations.
    For ##Y## above, its density function is $$f_Y(x)=\frac{1}{(2\pi)^{d/2}|\Sigma|^{1/2}}e^{-\frac{(x-m)^T\Sigma^{-1}(x-m)}{2}}$$

3. The attempt at a solution
    Do I get it right that in order to find ##\xi^*## I need to solve ##\frac{d}{d\xi_i}\mathbb{E}u(\xi\cdot Y)=0## for ##i=1..d## and then check whether all ##\frac{d}{d\xi_i^2}\mathbb{E}u(\xi\cdot Y)## are negative?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2013 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, for ##F(\vec{\xi}) = E u (\vec{\xi} \cdot \vec{Y})## you need to set
    [tex] \frac{\partial F}{\partial \xi_i} = 0, \: i = 1, \ldots, d,[/tex]
    but the second-order test is more complicated that what you indicated: you need to check that the ##d \times d## Hessian matrix
    [tex] H(\vec{\xi}) = \left[ \begin{array}{cccc}
    \partial^2 F/ \partial \xi_1 ^2 & \partial^2 F / \partial \xi_1 \partial \xi_2 & \cdots &
    \partial^2 F/ \partial \xi_1 \partial \xi_d\\
    \partial^2 F /\partial \xi_2 \partial \xi_1 & \partial^2 F/ \partial \xi_2 ^2 & \cdots &
    \partial^2 F/ \partial \xi_2 \partial \xi_d\\
    \vdots & \vdots & \ddots & \vdots \\
    \partial^2 F /\partial \xi_d \partial \xi_1 &\partial^2 F /\partial \xi_d \partial \xi_2 &
    \cdots & \partial^2 F/ \partial \xi_d ^d
    \end{array}\right] [/tex]
    is negative-definite at the optimal value ##\vec{\xi} =\vec{\xi^*} ##.

However, before embarking on any of that I urge you to first evaluate ##F(\vec{\xi})## as an explicit formula; believe it or not it is not too bad!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  4. Oct 29, 2013 #3
    This is what I got so far:
    for ##g(\xi)=\mathbb{E}e^{-\xi\cdot Y}## which we are now looking to minimise,
    $$g(\xi)=\int_{\mathbb{R}^d}e^{-\xi\cdot x}f_Y(x)dx=\frac{1}{(2\pi)^{d/2}|\Sigma|^{1/2}}\int_{\mathbb{R}^d}e^{-\xi\cdot x}e^{-(x-m)^T\Sigma^{-1}(x-m)/2}dx$$
    $$\frac{\partial g}{\partial\xi_i}(\xi)=\frac{-1}{(2\pi)^{d/2}|\Sigma|^{1/2}}\int_{\mathbb{R}^d}x_ie^{-\xi\cdot x}e^{-(x-m)^T\Sigma^{-1}(x-m)/2}dx=-\mathbb{E}(Y_ie^{-\xi\cdot Y})$$
    $$\frac{\partial^2g}{\partial\xi_i\xi_j}(\xi)=\mathbb{E}(Y_iY_je^{-\xi\cdot Y})$$
    Indeed, it doesn't seem to look too bad, but now I am at slight loss at how to compute the derivatives.

5. Oct 29, 2013 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This is not what I meant: I suggested you derive an explicit formula for ##F(\xi)##, and that means calculating the expectation first, by actually doing the d-dimensional integrations! YES: believe it or not, it is quite easy. You just need to use a number of fundamental facts about multivariate normal and univariate normal random variables, and these are available via a Google search on the keywords 'multivariate normal distribution'.

6. Oct 29, 2013 #5

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It might be instructive to first solve this in the case where [itex] \Sigma[/itex] is a diagonal matrix.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted