Computing for Electric Field given cylindrical coordinates of v.

In summary, we are given a scalar electric potential in cylindrical coordinates and are asked to find the electric field in that region. We can convert the coordinates to cartesian and use the gradient formula to find the electric field. Alternatively, we can use the gradient formula in cylindrical coordinates, as shown on the MathWorld website.
jhosamelly

Homework Statement

If the scalar electric potential v in some region is given in cylindrical coordinates by
[itex] v (r, \phi, z) = r^2 sin \phi e^{\frac{-3}{z}} [/itex], what is the electric field [itex] \vec{E}[/itex] in that region?

Homework Equations

[itex] E = -\nabla v [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So, first I need to change the cylindrical coordinates to cartesian coordinates.

[itex] v (r, \phi, z) = r^2 sin \phi e^{\frac{-3}{z}} [/itex]

[itex] v (r, \phi, z) = (x^2 + y^2) \frac{y}{r} e^{\frac{-3}{z}} [/itex]

[itex] v (r, \phi, z) = (x^2 + y^2) \frac{y}{\sqrt{x^2 + y^2}} e^{\frac{-3}{z}} [/itex]

[itex] v (r, \phi, z) = y e^{\frac{-3}{z}} \sqrt{x^2 + y^2} [/itex]

** so is this already the cartesian coordinates? can I perform the gradient now?

Physics news on Phys.org
vela said:
That's one way to do it. It would probably be simpler to use the gradient in cylindrical coordinates. See, for example, equation (32) on http://mathworld.wolfram.com/CylindricalCoordinates.html.

ow, I see. We were not given that formula though. So I think I need to do it in cartesian coordinates. Thanks.

1. What is the formula for calculating electric field given cylindrical coordinates of v?

The formula for calculating electric field given cylindrical coordinates of v is E = (1/4πε0) * Q / r2 * vρ * 1/r * cos(θ).

2. How do you convert cylindrical coordinates to cartesian coordinates?

To convert cylindrical coordinates (ρ, θ, z) to cartesian coordinates (x, y, z), you can use the following formulas: x = ρ * cos(θ), y = ρ * sin(θ), z = z.

3. What is the value of ε0 and how is it related to electric field?

ε0 (epsilon naught) is the permittivity of free space, and its value is approximately 8.85 x 10^-12 F/m. It is a constant that relates the strength of electric field to the amount of charge present.

4. What is the unit of electric field?

The unit of electric field is newtons per coulomb (N/C) or volts per meter (V/m).

5. How does the direction of electric field relate to the direction of electric potential?

The direction of electric field is the direction in which a positive test charge would move, while the direction of electric potential is the direction in which a positive test charge would move to decrease its potential energy. Therefore, the direction of electric field is opposite to the direction of electric potential.