1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Computing the age of the universe at the big crunch

1. Nov 12, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider a universe where there are two types of matter: dust and curvature. The density of dust evolves with time as ρdust(t) = ρ0R(t)^(−3) and curvature evolves as ρcurvature = −kR(t)^(-2) where ρ0 and k are constants.

The Friedmann equation is:
    H^2 = [(8∏G)/3][ρdust + ρcurvature] (where H^2 = (Rdot/R)^2 )

Consider the case where k is positive (this describes a closed sphere). Imagine that the universe starts out with zero size at time t = 0 – i.e. at the big bang – and begins expanding. Show that at some point the universe will reach a maximum size, before proceeding to collapse to zero size in a ”big crunch.” Compute the age of the universe at the big crunch.

2. Relevant equations

I know that ρdust + ρcurvature > ρcritical where ρcritical = 3H^2/(8∏G) other than that I am unsure if any other equations would be useful, and whether even this one is.

3. The attempt at a solution

OK I have come up with an integral expression for the amount of time t, it takes for the universe to evolve from a size R1 to a size R2.
    this integral is:

t = 1/sqrt((8∏G)/3) ∫ dR/sqrt(ρ0/R -k) . Is this expression useful? It is a difficult integral to solve... I think if I evaluated this integral from 0 to Rmax I would be able to find the time t of the universe at the "big crunch"

Is there an easier way to go about this or am I on the correct path?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2012 #2
    Can you find the time (or redshift, or scale factor) when expansion stops and collapsing starts? That might be of some use.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook