Find lifetime of closed RD universe

In summary, the homework task is to integrate field equations for a universe filled with radiation and with k = +1, λ = 0, and find ρ(a), ρ(t), and a(t). The first Friedmann equation reduces to a'2/a2 + a-2 = kρ, where k = 8∏/3. In radiation domination, ρ(a) = ρ0a-4, which leads to ρ(t) = ρ0(k - t2)-2. However, there may be a mistake in the expression for a(t) as a result of possibly incorrect scaling and time shifting. The final step is to calculate the lifetime of the universe, which may be when a
ck99

Homework Statement

Integrate field equations for a universe filled with radiation and with k = +1, λ = 0. Find ρ(a) ρ(t) and a(t). Find lifetime of the universe.

Homework Equations

Use first Friedmann equation which reduces to

a'2/a2 + a-2 = kρ where k = 8∏/3

The Attempt at a Solution

I have followed my lecture notes to get the following expression for a(t)

a(t) = (k - t2)1/2

In radiation domination we have

ρ(a) = ρ0a-4

which leads to

ρ(t) = ρ0(k - t2)-2

Hopefully these results are correct! I am not sure how to o the last part though, which is to calculate the lifetime of the universe. Can someone advise where to start with this? Presumably I want t as a function of . . . something. And with a closed universe I think the lifetime ends when a reaches 0 again (the big crunch). But I'm not sure where to go from there . . .

Physics news on Phys.org
ck99 said:

Homework Statement

Integrate field equations for a universe filled with radiation and with k = +1, λ = 0. Find ρ(a) ρ(t) and a(t). Find lifetime of the universe.
Are you sure you don't mean k=-1 ? Also, I'm guessing in the rest of your post, you are using c=1 ?

ck99 said:
I have followed my lecture notes to get the following expression for a(t)

a(t) = (k - t2)1/2

Are you sure that this is correct?

BruceW said:
Are you sure you don't mean k=-1 ?

:confused:

aha, whoops, yeah, it should be +k I confused myself a bit there.

ck99 said:
a(t) = (k - t2)1/2
Now I've thought about it for a bit, this could be right, if he has scaled it in just the right way, and defined t=0 at just the right time (not at the first singularity). But then this kind of defeats the point, because all this problem is about is finding what that scaling and that time shift are. I think it is this bit that you should go back to.

Your calculations for a(t) and ρ(t) look correct. To find the lifetime of the universe, we can set a(t) = 0 and solve for t. This will give us the time at which the universe reaches its maximum size and begins to collapse. This is known as the "big crunch" and marks the end of the universe's lifetime.

So, setting a(t) = 0, we get:

0 = (k - t^2)^(1/2)

t^2 = k

t = ± √k

Since k = 8π/3, t = ± √(8π/3)

Therefore, the lifetime of the closed RD universe is approximately ± √(8π/3) units of time. This is the time it takes for the universe to expand to its maximum size and then collapse back to a singularity.

Note that this calculation assumes that the universe only contains radiation and that there are no other factors (such as dark energy or matter) that could affect the lifetime of the universe.

1. What is a "closed RD universe"?

A closed RD (Robertson-Dunkelley) universe is a hypothetical model of the universe in which there is enough matter and energy to eventually cause the universe to stop expanding and begin to contract. This is also known as a "closed" universe, as opposed to an "open" universe which continues to expand indefinitely.

2. How is the lifetime of a closed RD universe calculated?

The lifetime of a closed RD universe can be calculated using various mathematical models, such as the Friedmann-Lemaître-Robertson-Walker equations or the Einstein field equations. These equations take into account the density of matter and energy in the universe, as well as the rate of expansion and potential curvature of the universe.

3. What factors can affect the lifetime of a closed RD universe?

The lifetime of a closed RD universe can be affected by various factors, such as the amount and distribution of matter and energy in the universe, the rate of expansion, and the potential presence of dark energy. These factors can also impact the overall curvature of the universe and its ultimate fate.

4. Is it possible to determine the exact lifetime of a closed RD universe?

Due to the complex and ever-changing nature of the universe, it is not possible to determine the exact lifetime of a closed RD universe. However, scientists can make predictions and estimations based on current theoretical models and observations of the universe.

5. What does the concept of a closed RD universe tell us about the fate of our own universe?

The concept of a closed RD universe suggests that our own universe may eventually stop expanding and begin to contract. This could potentially lead to a "Big Crunch" scenario, in which all matter and energy in the universe collapse back into a single point. However, current observations and models suggest that our universe is actually expanding at an accelerating rate, which may lead to a very different fate.