Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Computing the Weingarten Map L by raising an index

1. Nov 27, 2016 #1
    Hello,

I have to prove that the Weingarten Map L for the unit sphere is + or - the identity "by computing the Lik in a coordinate patch and raising an index".

S^2 : x(Φ,θ)=(sinΦcosθ, sinΦsinθ, cosΦ)

I have computed the first (g) and the second (Λ) fundamental forms and I have found :

L=g-1Λ= ( -1 0 ) = -Identity
    _________( 0 -1 )

The plus identity is obtained similarly by choosing a parametrization with inward pointing normal.

But what does "raising an index" mean?

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2016 #2

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, we have basically no context to go off of, since you haven't told us what a Weingarten map is, or where you pulled this notation from.

But if the thing you call ##g## is the metric tensor (which I think is the same thing as the first fundamental form), then it certainly looks to me as though you have already "raised an index", which just means contracting a slot of a lower-index tensor with ##g^{-1}##.

4. Nov 30, 2016 #3

lavinia

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Here is the general context. Although it seems to want a lowered not a raised index.

The second fundamental form is classically written as ##edx^{2} + 2fdxdy + gdy^{2}## in coordinates ##(x,y)##
    The metric tensor is ##Edx^{2} + 2Fdxdy + Gdy^{2}##

You are being asked to write out the Wiengarten map in terms of these these two. If ##N## is the unit normal then for a tangent vector ##X## the Wiengarten map ##W(X)## is equal to ##X⋅N## , the derivative of ##N## with respect to ##X##.

Hint: Think of the second fundamental form as the tensor ##edx⊗dx +fdx⊗dy+fdy⊗dx+gdy⊗dy##
    Think of the Weingarten map as a tensor.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted