1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find V(L) for Lumped vs distributive circuits

1. Sep 11, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find V(L) voltage across load
    29384ki.png

2. Relevant equations
    Vg=2cos(wt)
    Zg=Zl=200
    Zo=50
    [itex]\Gamma[/itex]=[itex]\frac{Zl-Zo}{Zl+Zo}[/itex]
    L'R'=με (all TEM lines)
    μ0=4∏E-7
    ε0=8.854E-12
    11aycee.png

3. The attempt at a solution
    Basically I think that with the 1st one, i don't have to deal with reflection or whatever. i could be wrong, since Zo does not equal Zl in both problems, which means there has to be reflection. but the equation I used for the 1st problem was in my book, and its similar to the voltage source equation. 2cos(wt-θ) where θ=wl/c. Since we have to graph V(L) for both as a function of length which is in terms of wavelength, this is also listed in book as θ=2∏*(l/λ). The only other thing that confuses me is that frequency is not given, so i can't find w. How can I vary both length (in terms of wavelength) and frequency, which is nowhere mentioned in the problem?? maybe i am doing this wrong.

for the 2nd problem. i think this is basically the same as the 1st one, except now we deal with reflection. since we also deal with R' L' G' C' (with R'=G'=0). the main breakthrough ive had with this problem is finding [itex]\Gamma[/itex]=0.6 which was easy. But i have no idea what to do from here. if I ASSUME that the relative permittivity is the same as in in air (that is εr=1) THEN i calculate R' L' using the equations Zo=50=sqrt(L'/C') and β=w*sqrt(L'C')=w*sqrt(με), and if i do that I get C'=6.671E-11 and L'=1.668E-7 but, i dont want to assume anything. can someone help me? i have the equations but theres no problem like this in my book, plus im lacking values like frequency and εr, so im not sure what exactly to do.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2013 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

1st problem: there is definitely reflection, not that that's important here.
    What equation relates load voltage to source voltage with the given parameters w, L', C', l, RL, RG, Z0?

2nd problem: this is a lumped circuit. There are by definition no reflections with lumped circuits.

4. Sep 12, 2013 #3
    the only equation i see in my book is V(z)=V0+(e-jβz)+V0-(ejβz)
    at the load voltage VL is at z=0 and given by V0+ + V0-
    V0+/V0- are related to reflection coefficient by: V0- = [itex]\Gamma[/itex]V0+

to find V0+ i would have to find Zin. where Zin=Z0[(zL+jtanβl)/(1+j(zLtanβl)] where zL=ZL/Z0=4 and β=w*sqrt(L'C')=w*sqrt(με). So I have Zin=50[(4+jtanβl)/(1+j(4tanβl)] but i have trouble finding β without L' and C'. my book also has another equation β=2∏/λ but im not sure if i should use that.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  5. Sep 12, 2013 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your answer will include ω, L' and C', also l plus the given parameters Zg, ZL. You can't get numerical answers without those but you can compare V(0) for a transmission line vs. the lumped circuit.

You also have the relations in that post, plus β = ω√(L'C') and Z0 = √(L'/C').

Start with your equation from post 3 for V(z), solve for V(0) as function of V(l).

You then have to compute Zin since that forms a voltage divider with Zg. You have the formula for that too I see.

So V(l) = Vs[Zin/(Zin + Zg).

Then relate V(l) to V(0).

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted