Compute Physical Coordinates of an Event in a Curved Spacetime

In summary, the conversation discusses the computation of physical distances in a curved spacetime and how it differs from Newtonian physics. It explains that the spacetime interval from the origin to a specific event can be computed by integrating the metric, and that this distance is invariant under coordinate transformations. However, for physical distances along a specific axis, the metric component relative to that axis must be included in the integration. This is demonstrated with an example on a 2-sphere.
TheNewBie2019
TL;DR Summary
I would like to know how to compute the physical distance along the coordinate axes of a curved spacetime in order to obtain the actual coordinates of an event as measured by an observer which lives in the curved spacetime in question.
Hi everyone, this is my first post on PhysicsForums. Thank you so much in advance for your help!
My question is the following. Let us suppose we have an event A in a curved spacetime which, for definiteness, is the spacetime curved by the bodies of the solar system. Adopting a coordinate system centered at the barycenter of the solar system, the metric can be written as (I know that this is not the whole PN metric, but this will suffice for my purpose):

g00=1-2U/c2, g0i=gi0=0, gij=-δij(1+2U/c2),

where U is the Newtonian gravitational potential of the bodies of the solar system.

Now, if we want to compute the spacetime interval from the origin to A, we need to integrate ds=√ (gμνdxμdxν) from 0 to A. Moreover, since ds is invariant under coordinate transformations, this distance will be the same in any coordinate system. Am I correct so far?

But, what if we want the physical distance from the origin to the coordinate, say, xiA of event A along the axis xi? My answer is that we still need to integrate the ds, which now will not be the same as before but simply given by ds=√(gii)dxi (no summation on repeated indices). Also, this will need to be intagrated from the origin to xiA. Of course, the result will not be invariant under coordinate transformation because the coordinate of A along an axis will be different after a coordinate transformation. Am I correct about this?

Basically, when we have a curved spacetime we cannot compute the physical coordinates of an event by simply taking the value of the adopted coordinates at the event like we do in Newtonian physics. We have to take into account that the spacetime is curved and compute the physical coordinate of an event along an axis as I did above by including the component of the metric tensor relative to the axis in question. Also, the physical distances computed in this way along the three spatial axes will represent the components of the position vector locating the event A with respect to the origin as seen by an observer living in the curved spacetime. Am I right?

As an example, consider a 2-sphere of radius r, whose metric tensor is:

gθθ=r2, gθφ=gφθ=0, gφφθ=r2sin2θ,

where θ is the colatitude and φ the longitude. The physical distance along the θ axis of a point at the equator is not π/2, which is simply the value of the θ coordinate of the point. Instead, we need to integrate the ds along the θ axis from 0 to π/2. The ds along the θ axis is ds=rdθ, because dφ=0 along the θ axis. So, integrating ds=rdθ from 0 to π/2 gives rπ/2, which is, correctly, the physical value of the coordinate along the θ axis of the point on the equator as measured by an observer living on the sphere.

Again, thank you very much for your help and your time!

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
TheNewBie2019 said:
But, what if we want the physical distance from the origin to the coordinate, say, of event A along the axis xi?
Assuming that you have chosen your coordinates so that you have one timelike and three spacelike coordinates...
The coordinates of event A are ##(T,x^1_A,x^2_A,x^3_A)##. Take ##i=1## for definiteness, and the corresponding event on the ##x^i## axis will be ##(T,x^1_A,0,0)##. The distance you are looking for is the spacetime interval between that event and the event ##(T,0,0,0)## (location of the spatial origin at time ##T##) and you compute that with the line integral you would use to compute any other spacetime interval.

1. How do you determine the physical coordinates of an event in a curved spacetime?

The physical coordinates of an event in a curved spacetime can be determined by using the mathematical framework of general relativity. This involves solving equations that describe the curvature of spacetime and using coordinate transformations to map the event onto a physical coordinate system.

2. What is the significance of computing physical coordinates in a curved spacetime?

Computing physical coordinates in a curved spacetime allows us to accurately describe the location of an event in the universe. This is important for understanding the behavior of objects and phenomena in the presence of strong gravitational fields, such as black holes.

3. Can physical coordinates be calculated for any event in a curved spacetime?

Yes, physical coordinates can be calculated for any event in a curved spacetime as long as we have a mathematical model that describes the curvature of spacetime in that particular region.

4. How does the concept of time dilation affect the computation of physical coordinates in a curved spacetime?

The concept of time dilation, which states that time passes slower in regions with stronger gravitational fields, must be taken into account when computing physical coordinates in a curved spacetime. This is because the measurement of time is relative and can vary depending on the observer's position and velocity.

5. Are there any limitations to computing physical coordinates in a curved spacetime?

One limitation to computing physical coordinates in a curved spacetime is the complexity of the equations involved. This can make it difficult to accurately determine the coordinates for highly curved spacetimes, such as those near a singularity. Additionally, the accuracy of the coordinates may be affected by uncertainties in the measurements of the gravitational field.