Concave mirror - finding object and image distance

In summary: My guess is that you made a mistake in setting up the equations.In summary, to find the object and image distance of a concave mirror with a focal length of 27.2 cm and a distance of 50.2 cm between the object and its image, assuming the object lies beyond the center of curvature, use the equation 1/object distance + 1/image distance = 1/f. Substitute in the values and solve for the object distance, which will be positive, and then use that value to find the image distance. The solution is not correct if both distances are negative.
phys62

Homework Statement

A concave mirror has a focal length of 27.2 cm. The distance between an object and its image is 50.2 cm. Find (a) the object and (b) the image distance assuming that the object lies beyond the center of curvature.

Homework Equations

f=1/2 R
1/object distance + 1/image distance = 1/f

The Attempt at a Solution

image distance - object distance = 50.2 cm
(image distance + object distance)/(image distance*object distance) = 1/f
50.2/(image distance*object distance)=1/27.2
image distance*object distance=1365.44

image distance=50.2 + object distance

substitute in and get: (50.2 + object distance)object distance = 1365.44
quadratic equation solves for object distance = 69.77 or 19.57 cm

Am I even doing this right?? If so, I'm stuck from here.. Thanks for any help you can give!

Physics news on Phys.org
phys62 said:

Homework Statement

A concave mirror has a focal length of 27.2 cm. The distance between an object and its image is 50.2 cm. Find (a) the object and (b) the image distance assuming that the object lies beyond the center of curvature.

Homework Equations

f=1/2 R

The Attempt at a Solution

(image distance + object distance)/(image distance*object distance) = 1/f
Whoops.
But you substituted 50.2 cm for image distance + object distance

Try substituting for "image distance" in
1/object distance + 1/image distance = 1/f​

Can anyone help me figure out if I'm even on the right track?

so I tried saying image distance = 50.2 + object distance

substituting that into 1/object distance + 1/image distance = 1/f

I got object distance = -620.65 cm
then image distance would = -620.65 + 50.2 = -570.45 cm

This is incorrect... Have I done this right, and the 620.65 simply needs to be positive? Or am I completely off track?

Something is wrong there. Those numbers definitely don't satisfy the equation,

1/(-620.65) + 1/(-570.45) = -0.00336
While 1/f = 1/27.2 = +0.0367

Since f (and also 1/f) is positive, the object and image distances cannot both be negative.

1. How do you find the object distance for a concave mirror?

To find the object distance for a concave mirror, you can use the formula 1/f = 1/do + 1/di, where f is the focal length, do is the object distance, and di is the image distance. You can also use the mirror equation, 1/f = 2/R, where R is the radius of curvature of the mirror.

2. How do you find the image distance for a concave mirror?

To find the image distance for a concave mirror, you can use the formula 1/f = 1/do + 1/di, where f is the focal length, do is the object distance, and di is the image distance. You can also use the mirror equation, 1/f = 2/R, where R is the radius of curvature of the mirror.

3. What is the difference between a real and virtual image?

A real image is formed when the light rays from an object converge and can be projected onto a surface, while a virtual image is formed when the light rays appear to be coming from a certain point behind the mirror, making it impossible to project onto a surface. Real images are always inverted, while virtual images can be either upright or inverted.

4. How does the distance of the object from a concave mirror affect the image distance?

The distance of the object from a concave mirror affects the image distance through the mirror equation, 1/f = 1/do + 1/di. As the object distance increases, the image distance decreases and vice versa. When the object is placed at the focal point, the image distance becomes infinite and no image is formed.

5. Can a concave mirror produce a magnified image?

Yes, a concave mirror can produce a magnified image. This happens when the object is placed between the focal point and the center of curvature of the mirror. The magnification of the image is given by the formula m = -di/do, where di is the image distance and do is the object distance. A positive magnification indicates an upright image, while a negative magnification indicates an inverted image.