Location of object on axis of concave mirror?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
jlmccart03
Messages
175
Reaction score
9

Homework Statement


Where on the axis of a concave mirror would you place an object to get a half-size image? Express the object distance in terms of the focal length f. Follow the sign convention.

Homework Equations


(1/q)+(1/p)=(1/f)
f=(2/R)

The Attempt at a Solution


I attempted to use the object distance plus image distance to solve for f (I just got f=q+p), but the online homework system says that is wrong. Are these the correct formulas and what should I be doing?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Those equations don'tmention image size. So you need an idea about that, or maybe an equation.
Have you drawn a diagram?
 
Merlin3189 said:
Those equations don'tmention image size. So you need an idea about that, or maybe an equation.
Have you drawn a diagram?
But they do? I wrote them differently, but it's (1/Do)+(1/Di)=(1/f)

EDIT: wait I misread that. You are talking about (H'/H)=(f/k)
 
Yes. I don't recognise the formula you give (H'/H)=(f/k) ?
But it's the ratio of heights (H'/H) that matters. You know what number this is, from the question.
How do the heights relate to the distances ? (That's where I thought a diagram might help.)
 
concave_mirror.png
 
Last edited: