Concavity of a rational function

In summary, the function ((x)3))/((x)2-1) has a second derivative of ((2x(x2+3))/((x2-1)3) and is concave up on the intervals (-1, 0) and (1, infinity), and concave down on the intervals (-infinity, -1) and (0, 1). The asymptotes are at x = -1 and x = 1 and the point of inflection is at (0, 0). For |x| → ∞, the function can be written as x + (x/(x2-1)). The local maximum is at (-√3, -2.598) and the local minimum
realism877
I have to curve sketch this function, ((x)3))/((x)2-1)

I did all of the steps, and I got this as the second derivative: ((2x(x2+3))/((x2-1)3)

I got concave up:(-1, 0)u(1, inifinity)

Concave down:(-infinity, -1)u(0,1)

Am I right?

I use -1 and 1 as the interval since they are the asymptotes.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi realism877! :smile:

realism877 said:
I have to curve sketch this function, ((x)3))/((x)2-1)

I did all of the steps, and I got this as the second derivative: ((2x(x2+3))/((x2-1)3)

I got concave up:(-1, 0)u(1, inifinity)

Concave down:(-infinity, -1)u(0,1)

Am I right?

I use -1 and 1 as the interval since they are the asymptotes.

That is correct.

To have a more complete sketch, how does the function behave for |x| → ∞ ?

Where are inflection points and relative extrema?

the point of inflection is (0,0)

To see how the function behaves for |x| → ∞, it might help to write [itex]\displaystyle \frac{x^3}{x^2-1}\ \ \text{ as }\ \ x+\frac{x}{x^2-1}[/itex]

SammyS said:
To have a more complete sketch, how does the function behave for |x| → ∞ ?

Where are inflection points and relative extrema?

The local max=(-sqr(3), -2.598)

Local min=(sqr(3), 2.598)

Correct?

1. What is the definition of concavity of a rational function?

The concavity of a rational function refers to the direction in which the graph of the function curves. It is determined by the curvature of the graph, which can either be upward (concave up) or downward (concave down).

2. How can I identify the concavity of a rational function?

The concavity of a rational function can be identified by finding the second derivative of the function. If the second derivative is positive, the function is concave up. If the second derivative is negative, the function is concave down.

3. What is the significance of concavity in a rational function?

The concavity of a rational function is important because it can help determine the nature of the critical points (maxima and minima) of the function. It also affects the shape of the graph and can provide insight into the behavior of the function as x approaches positive or negative infinity.

4. Can a rational function have both concave up and concave down sections?

Yes, it is possible for a rational function to have both concave up and concave down sections. This occurs when there is a point on the graph where the function changes from being concave up to concave down, or vice versa. This point is known as an inflection point.

5. How can I use the concavity of a rational function to solve real-world problems?

The concavity of a rational function can be used to analyze and optimize real-world situations, such as finding the maximum or minimum values of a cost or profit function. By determining the concavity of the function, you can also determine the direction in which the function is increasing or decreasing, which can be useful in making decisions or predictions.