1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining where the function is concave up? (Given an integral)

1. Apr 12, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

x
    Determine all intervals over which the function f(x)=∫√(1+t^2) dt is concave upward

2. Relevant equations

I know concave up means the f"(x)>0, so you have to get the second derivative

3. The attempt at a solution

f'(x)=√(1+x^) by susbituting in x

Then f"(x)=1/2*(1+x^2)^(-1/2)*2x

This is equal to:
    2x/2√(1+x^2)

Then, I'm really confused on what to do next because the denominator is never zero, so would the only critical point be 0 and you check to the left and right of that?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2014 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Apparently that is ##\int_1^x \frac 1 {\sqrt{1+t^2}}~dt##

Yes. Find where it is positive. Don't be afraid to cancel the 2's.

4. Apr 12, 2014 #3
    I apologize for the typo! So it would be:

x/√(1+x^2)

The only critical number would be 0 then, so wouldn't it be concave up on (-infinity, 0) and (0, infinity) since the denominator is always positive because of the square root?

5. Apr 12, 2014 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Is the numerator always positive?

6. Apr 12, 2014 #5
    The numerator would give only a critical point of 0 since that is the only place it is not defined, right? So then it would be concave up on (0, infinity)?

7. Apr 12, 2014 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There is no ##x## where that fraction is not defined. Instead of asking me if ##(0,\infty)## is the answer, explain why you think it is.

8. Apr 12, 2014 #7
    It would be (0, ∞) since the critical point is 0 because it makes the fraction zero. Concave up means f"(x)>0 and f"(x) is positive when the function is evaluated at any number greater than 0. If you evaluate the function at -1, for example, you would get a negative number, so it would be concave down less than 0. If that makes sense?

9. Apr 12, 2014 #8

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, that makes perfect sense. Since ##f''(x)=0## when ##x=0##, that is a point where the second derivative might change sign (or maybe not). That's why you check the signs on both sides. For ##x<0## you have ##\frac - +## and for ##x>0## you have ##\frac + +## for the signs. That's why ##f''(x)>0## for ##x>0##. That's how you want to analyze problems like this.

10. Apr 12, 2014 #9
    Thank you so much! I really appreciate it!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted