Determining where the function is concave up? (Given an integral)

Homework Statement

x
Determine all intervals over which the function f(x)=∫√(1+t^2) dt is concave upward

Homework Equations

I know concave up means the f"(x)>0, so you have to get the second derivative

The Attempt at a Solution

f'(x)=√(1+x^) by susbituting in x

Then f"(x)=1/2*(1+x^2)^(-1/2)*2x

This is equal to:
2x/2√(1+x^2)

Then, I'm really confused on what to do next because the denominator is never zero, so would the only critical point be 0 and you check to the left and right of that?

Answers and Replies

LCKurtz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member

Homework Statement

x
Determine all intervals over which the function f(x)=∫√(1+t^2) dt is concave upward

Apparently that is ##\int_1^x \frac 1 {\sqrt{1+t^2}}~dt##

Homework Equations

I know concave up means the f"(x)>0, so you have to get the second derivative

The Attempt at a Solution

f'(x)=√(1+x^) by susbituting in x

Then f"(x)=1/2*(1+x^2)^(-1/2)*2x

This is equal to:
2x/2√(1+x^2)

Then, I'm really confused on what to do next because the denominator is never zero, so would the only critical point be 0 and you check to the left and right of that?

Yes. Find where it is positive. Don't be afraid to cancel the 2's.

I apologize for the typo! So it would be:

x/√(1+x^2)

The only critical number would be 0 then, so wouldn't it be concave up on (-infinity, 0) and (0, infinity) since the denominator is always positive because of the square root?

The numerator would give only a critical point of 0 since that is the only place it is not defined, right? So then it would be concave up on (0, infinity)?

LCKurtz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
There is no ##x## where that fraction is not defined. Instead of asking me if ##(0,\infty)## is the answer, explain why you think it is.

It would be (0, ∞) since the critical point is 0 because it makes the fraction zero. Concave up means f"(x)>0 and f"(x) is positive when the function is evaluated at any number greater than 0. If you evaluate the function at -1, for example, you would get a negative number, so it would be concave down less than 0. If that makes sense?

LCKurtz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
It would be (0, ∞) since the critical point is 0 because it makes the fraction zero. Concave up means f"(x)>0 and f"(x) is positive when the function is evaluated at any number greater than 0. If you evaluate the function at -1, for example, you would get a negative number, so it would be concave down less than 0. If that makes sense?

Yes, that makes perfect sense. Since ##f''(x)=0## when ##x=0##, that is a point where the second derivative might change sign (or maybe not). That's why you check the signs on both sides. For ##x<0## you have ##\frac - +## and for ##x>0## you have ##\frac + +## for the signs. That's why ##f''(x)>0## for ##x>0##. That's how you want to analyze problems like this.

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it!