Concentration Boundary layer thickness

In summary, the conversation discusses conducting an experiment in the lab to determine the mass transfer coefficient scaling with velocity and boundary layer thickness scaling with velocity using air flow over a tray of water. The experiment is now being simulated with COMSOL and the concentration profile shows a thicker boundary layer at a greater distance along the tray. The conversation also mentions the Blasius boundary layer and looking into ways to find the boundary layer thickness as a function of position. Lastly, there is confusion about the equations for mass transfer and the meaning of zero flux at the highlighted boundary layer.
gfd43tg
Gold Member
Hello,

I am simulating an experiment I did in the lab where we had air flow over a tray of water to determine the mass transfer coefficient scaling with velocity, as well as boundary layer thickness scaling with velocity.

Now I am using COMSOL to simulate the experiment, and here is the schematic set up

upload_2015-10-27_18-19-59.png

Where the dashed lines represents the control volume of the COMSOL simulation. I input my boundary conditions and here is what the concentration profile looks like
upload_2015-10-27_18-21-2.png

The blue area is the bulk air flow concentration, so it is clear that the teal area is the concentration boundary layer. Notice that the boundary layer gets thicker as you move more down the length of the tray. Why is this happening theoretically? I know it has something to do with the Blasius boundary layer.

Also, if anyone understands COMSOL or has any ideas how I could devise a way to figure out the boundary layer thickness as a function of position, that would be very helpful! I can plot the concentration gradient as a function of distance, so that might be a place to start to find the thickness.

Thanks

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm looking at some of the equations for mass transfer and I am a little confused
upload_2015-10-27_19-12-45.png

In this picture, it is saying the flux ##N_{i}## is equal to zero at the boundary layer highlighted in blue. This doesn't seem to make sense, so I am wondering if this is supposed to mean that there is no flux in the x-direction, and only flux in the y-direction, or if the negative sign just indicates that there is no flux back into the water surface, i.e. all water that leaves the water surface goes into the bulk and does not flow back in.

1. What is the concentration boundary layer thickness?

The concentration boundary layer thickness is a measure of the distance from a surface at which the concentration of a substance in a fluid reaches its maximum value. It is the region where the concentration gradient is the steepest and the flow of the fluid is most affected.

2. How is the concentration boundary layer thickness calculated?

The concentration boundary layer thickness can be calculated using mathematical equations that take into account the fluid properties, flow rate, and surface characteristics. It can also be experimentally determined by measuring the concentration profile near a surface.

3. What factors affect the concentration boundary layer thickness?

The concentration boundary layer thickness is affected by the fluid properties, flow rate, surface roughness, and the concentration gradient of the substance. It is also influenced by external factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of other substances in the fluid.

4. Why is the concentration boundary layer thickness important in scientific research?

The concentration boundary layer thickness is important because it affects the rate of mass transfer between a surface and a fluid. This is crucial in many scientific fields, such as environmental science, chemical engineering, and material science, where the concentration of a substance at a surface can greatly impact the overall process or reaction.

5. How can the concentration boundary layer thickness be controlled or modified?

The concentration boundary layer thickness can be controlled or modified by changing the flow rate, surface characteristics, or fluid properties. For example, increasing the flow rate can reduce the thickness of the boundary layer, while adding a surface coating can increase it. In some cases, external factors such as temperature or pressure can also be adjusted to alter the concentration boundary layer thickness.