Concentric spheres and electrostatic induction

In summary, the conversation discusses three thick, conducting concentric spheres with different radii and charges. The middle sphere is wired to the ground and the internal and external spheres are connected. The conversation also mentions applying Gaussian surfaces to find the net charge and the distribution of charges on each sphere. The conclusion is that the charge on the inner surface of the middle sphere is -Q1 and the charge on the outer surface is 0. However, the answer given is -Q1 - Q3(R2/R3), leaving the charge on the sphere, Qn, still unknown.
springo

Homework Statement

There's three thick, conducting concentric spheres with radii R1, R2, R3 (R1 < R2 < R3) with charge Q1, Q2, Q3 respectively.
a.- The middle one is now wired to the ground. Find its net charge
b.- The internal and external spheres are now wired. Find the distribution of all the charges

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that when you wire to conductors, they have the same potential, but I'm clueless on how to apply this (if it's what I'm supposed to use at all).

Physics news on Phys.org
Try constructing some Gaussian surfaces.

The total flux through a closed surface will be the charge enclosed won't it?

Sure, but I also need to know the charge on each side of the sphere (internal and external) because they have a certain thickness. Besides, doesn't the fact that the middle sphere is wired to the ground (in a.-) or the fact that the internal and external spheres are connected (in b.-) change things?

I mean, for b, the surface would be 2 concentric spheres I believe, and for a... I don't even know what the surface would be.

The thicknesses and charge on each doesn't really matter. Remember these are conducting spheres, so thickness doesn't mean a whole lot either.

For instance in a) what is the flux through a spherical surface between the middle sphere and the outer sphere?

Likes gracy
LowlyPion said:
The thicknesses and charge on each doesn't really matter. Remember these are conducting spheres, so thickness doesn't mean a whole lot either.
For instance in a) what is the flux through a spherical surface between the middle sphere and the outer sphere?
It's the middle sphere's charge (whatever it is, that's what I have to find) + the inner sphere's charge (Q1).

The fact that it is connected to the ground affects the charge somehow, so the middle sphere's charge can't be Q2, but I can't really say how it affects it, other than the fact that the ground and the middle sphere have the same potential.

springo said:
It's the middle sphere's charge (whatever it is, that's what I have to find) + the inner sphere's charge (Q1).

The fact that it is connected to the ground affects the charge somehow, so the middle sphere's charge can't be Q2, but I can't really say how it affects it, other than the fact that the ground and the middle sphere have the same potential.

Since the middle sphere itself is grounded there will be no field off the outer surface since it is necessarily 0 right? Since by Gauss you know that this integral over the closed surface must be equal to what's inside and since that adds to 0, then ...

The charge of the inner surface of the middle sphere is -Q1 and the charge of the outer surface is 0?

I'm still not sure about what being grounded implies. If I understood properly, when a sphere grounded, the sphere's electric field outside it is 0? Why so?

springo said:
The charge of the inner surface of the middle sphere is -Q1 and the charge of the outer surface is 0?

I'm still not sure about what being grounded implies. If I understood properly, when a sphere grounded, the sphere's electric field outside it is 0? Why so?

That's what it looks like to me. What else will the outer surface of the sphere be? There is no field from the outer sphere after all.

But the answer says that the charge is: -Q1 - Q3·(R2/R3).

So I was thinking:
Let 1, 2, 3 be the inner, middle and exterior spheres. Let A, B be their inner and outer surfaces (i.e.: Q3B is the exterior sphere's outer surface charge). Qn is sphere 2's net charge.

Q3B = Q1 + Qn + Q3
So Q3A = Q3 - (Q1 + Qn + Q3) = - Q1 - Qn.
Therefore Q2B = -Q3A = Q1 + Qn.

Q1B = Q1 so Q2A = -Q1B = -Q1.
We check that Q2A + Q2B = -Q1 + Q1 + Qn = Qn.

But still no clue about Qn.

1. What is the concept of concentric spheres in electrostatics?

Concentric spheres refer to a setup in which two or more hollow conductive spheres are placed one inside the other with a small space between them. This setup is commonly used in experiments to demonstrate the principles of electrostatic induction.

2. How does electrostatic induction work in concentric spheres?

In this setup, when a charged object is placed inside the inner sphere, the charges on the inner sphere redistribute themselves due to the presence of the outer sphere. This redistribution of charges creates an external electric field, which in turn induces an opposite charge on the outer sphere.

3. What is the purpose of using concentric spheres in electrostatic induction experiments?

The use of concentric spheres allows for a controlled and measurable setup to demonstrate electrostatic induction. It also helps in understanding the behavior of electric fields and charges in a confined space.

4. What is the difference between using solid and hollow spheres in electrostatic induction experiments?

In solid spheres, the charges are not free to move, so there is no redistribution of charges. However, in hollow spheres, the charges on the inner surface can move freely, allowing for the phenomenon of electrostatic induction to occur.

5. Can concentric spheres be used for any other purposes besides electrostatic induction experiments?

Yes, concentric spheres have various applications in the field of electrostatics, such as in Van de Graaff generators and capacitors. They are also used in various industries for coating and painting processes.