1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Concept: Question on formation of parallel capacitors

1. May 21, 2015 #1
    1. So my teacher gave us examples of how to solve capacitor problems. I know how to solve the problem but I don't this problem's particular "formation" of parallel capacitors. In this problem, my teacher says C3 and C4 are parallel but when I did the problem, I assumed it was series. Can anyone explain how C3 and C4 are parallel? I assumed there needed to be another capacitor directly across from them to become parallel, rather than in a 90 degree formation like C3 and C4.
    IMG_1631.JPG

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2015 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

In electrical circuits, the geometry is not relevant, only the connectivity. If you have two components with two contacts each, parallel means each contact on one is connected to a contact on the other, i.e. they are side by side as far as the network is concerned. Electrons in the circuit can pass through either. Series means electrons have to pass through both.

4. May 21, 2015 #3
    OH! When you put it that way, it makes sense now. Thanks Haruspex.

5. May 22, 2015 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try "sliding" C4 to the right and around the corner into the vertical wire.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted