Concept: Question on formation of parallel capacitors

1. So my teacher gave us examples of how to solve capacitor problems. I know how to solve the problem but I don't this problem's particular "formation" of parallel capacitors. In this problem, my teacher says C3 and C4 are parallel but when I did the problem, I assumed it was series. Can anyone explain how C3 and C4 are parallel? I assumed there needed to be another capacitor directly across from them to become parallel, rather than in a 90 degree formation like C3 and C4.
IMG_1631.JPG

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Answers and Replies

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
In electrical circuits, the geometry is not relevant, only the connectivity. If you have two components with two contacts each, parallel means each contact on one is connected to a contact on the other, i.e. they are side by side as far as the network is concerned. Electrons in the circuit can pass through either. Series means electrons have to pass through both.

In electrical circuits, the geometry is not relevant, only the connectivity. If you have two components with two contacts each, parallel means each contact on one is connected to a contact on the other, i.e. they are side by side as far as the network is concerned. Electrons in the circuit can pass through either. Series means electrons have to pass through both.
OH! When you put it that way, it makes sense now. Thanks Haruspex.

CWatters
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Try "sliding" C4 to the right and around the corner into the vertical wire.