Conceptional doubts in making FBDs

• Thread starter Deep Blue
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Doubts
In summary, the conversation revolves around the concept of net contact force and its relation to friction and normal force. The person is seeking clarification and is not satisfied with the information provided in a textbook.
Deep Blue

Homework Statement

I just have some conceptional doubts and it would really be appreciated if some one would answer!
Q1. What is net contact force?
Q2. Does it have friction as one of its components?
Q3. Is it any way similar to normal force?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I did try to read through Halliday Resnick Jearl Walker Physics textbook, but I wasn't satisfied.

Physics news on Phys.org
Deep Blue said:

Homework Statement

I just have some conceptional doubts and it would really be appreciated if some one would answer!
Q1. What is net contact force?
Q2. Does it have friction as one of its components?
Q3. Is it any way similar to normal force?

When speaking about contact force in Mechanics, it usually includes both the normal force and friction.
Do you have any special problem?

ehild

1. What is a FBD and why is it important in scientific research?

A Free Body Diagram (FBD) is a visual representation of all the external forces acting on an object. It is important in scientific research because it helps scientists understand the forces at play in a system and how they affect the object's motion or behavior.

2. How do I determine which forces to include in a FBD?

To determine which forces to include in a FBD, you should first identify the object of interest and all the external forces acting on it. These can include weight, normal force, tension, friction, and any other relevant forces. It is important to also consider the direction and magnitude of each force.

3. Can I use a FBD for non-mechanical systems?

Yes, a FBD can be used for both mechanical and non-mechanical systems. While it is commonly used in physics and engineering to analyze the motion of objects, it can also be applied to other scientific fields such as biology, chemistry, and even economics.

4. Are there any limitations to using FBDs?

While FBDs are a useful tool for understanding the forces at play in a system, they do have some limitations. They assume that the object is in equilibrium and neglect any internal forces or rotational motion. Additionally, they do not account for the effects of air resistance or other complex factors in real-world scenarios.

5. How can I improve my skills in creating accurate FBDs?

Practice is the key to improving your skills in creating accurate FBDs. Start with simple systems and gradually work your way up to more complex ones. It can also be helpful to double-check your FBD by comparing it to the known equations and laws that govern the system. Additionally, seeking feedback from colleagues or mentors can also help improve your FBDs.