Coulomb's Law in Two Dimensions

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the net force on charge q2, which involves using the equation F= k x q1q2/R^2 and knowledge of trigonometry to separate the x and y components of the force. The person is seeking clarification on how to find these components and the concept of resolving vectors. They are advised to use the principle of superposition and review resolving vectors in preparation for future topics in physics.
hsadiq98

Homework Statement

Three charges, q1, q2, and q3, lie in a plane, as shown below. Find the net force on charge q2 (please refer to attachment for diagram)

Homework Equations

F= k x q1q2/R^2, knowledge of trig functions and separating x and y components

The Attempt at a Solution

So I found the hypotenuse for the triangle but how do I find the other variables? There aren't any examples in my book to deal with these type pf questions. Any explanations would greatly help me understand the concept and how to solve these type of questions as I am sure they'll show up in my final. Thank you.

Attachments

• physycs forum assignment.pdf
    820.6 KB · Views: 398
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know how to resolve a vector into x and y components?

Chestermiller said:
Do you know how to resolve a vector into x and y components?
A little bit, yes

Use the principle of superposition. Also, review how to resolve vectors into components, since you will be using it a lot in the study of electrostatics and other areas of physics.

hsadiq98 said:
A little bit, yes
So if you knew the magnitude of the force of q1 acting on q2 and the angle that this force makes with the x axis, you could determine the x and y components of this force, correct?

1. What is Coulomb's Law in Two Dimensions?

Coulomb's Law in Two Dimensions is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the electrostatic force, the distance between two charges, and the properties of those charges in a two-dimensional space.

2. How is Coulomb's Law in Two Dimensions different from the one-dimensional version?

In the one-dimensional version of Coulomb's Law, the distance between the two charges is considered to be a straight line. In the two-dimensional version, the distance is measured as the shortest distance between the two charges.

3. What are the variables in Coulomb's Law in Two Dimensions?

The variables in Coulomb's Law in Two Dimensions are the magnitude of the two charges, the distance between them, and the angle between the line connecting the two charges and the horizontal axis.

4. How can Coulomb's Law in Two Dimensions be applied in real-life situations?

Coulomb's Law in Two Dimensions can be applied in various situations, such as calculating the forces between charged particles in a two-dimensional plane, understanding the behavior of electric fields around two-dimensional objects, and predicting the movement of charged particles in a two-dimensional space.

5. What are the limitations of Coulomb's Law in Two Dimensions?

Coulomb's Law in Two Dimensions assumes that the charges are point charges and are located in a two-dimensional space. It also assumes that the charges are stationary and that there are no other external forces acting on them. These assumptions may not hold true in real-life situations, thus limiting the applicability of the law.