1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coulomb's Law in Two Dimensions

1. Nov 21, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Three charges, q1, q2, and q3, lie in a plane, as shown below. Find the net force on charge q2 (please refer to attachment for diagram)
    2. Relevant equations
    F= k x q1q2/R^2, knowledge of trig functions and separating x and y components

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I found the hypotenuse for the triangle but how do I find the other variables? There aren't any examples in my book to deal with these type pf questions. Any explanations would greatly help me understand the concept and how to solve these type of questions as I am sure they'll show up in my final. Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2016 #2
    Do you know how to resolve a vector into x and y components?

4. Nov 21, 2016 #3
    A little bit, yes

5. Nov 21, 2016 #4
    Use the principle of superposition. Also, review how to resolve vectors into components, since you will be using it a lot in the study of electrostatics and other areas of physics.

6. Nov 21, 2016 #5
    So if you knew the magnitude of the force of q1 acting on q2 and the angle that this force makes with the x axis, you could determine the x and y components of this force, correct?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted