1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conceptual problem about two blocks released from a compressed string

1. Nov 15, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two blocks, A and B, are connected by a compressed string. The mass of bock A is twice that of block B. Immediately after release, compare the net force on block A to the net force on block B. The table is frictionless and the mass of the spring is zero.

1)There is no net force on block A or block B.

2)Fnet of A is equal in magnitude and direction to Fnet B and not zero.

3) Fnet B, will be in the opposite direction and half as large as Fnet A.

4)Fnet A, and Fnet A are both directed toward the left with Fnet A larger than Fnet A, but not twice as large. Block A is pulling block B.

5) Fnet A, will be in the opposite direction and half as large as Fnet B.

6) Fnet A is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to Fnet B, and not zero.

2. Relevant equations

I don't think you need any equations.

3. The attempt at a solution

I think it is 5 because A is twice as massive as B so it would take more force to move it the the same and they will be going in opposite directions. Do you agree?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2007 #2
    I change my mine I think its 6.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?