Conceptual problem with conservation of energy

In summary, the work-energy theorem can be derived using Newton's second law of motion and by equating the work done by all forces to the change in kinetic energy. However, when dealing with conservative forces, the work done can also be represented by the change in potential energy. In this case, the work-energy theorem leads to conservation of mechanical energy. This only applies to cases where the only force acting is conservative, as non-conservative forces, like friction, do not conserve energy. The normal force, being perpendicular to the direction of motion, does not perform work and does not affect the conservation of energy.
union68
This really isn't a homework problem with specific computations, rather it's a conceptual problem I'm struggling with; hence, the template doesn't really apply. (Please don't delete my thread!)

In the derivation of the work-energy theorem

[tex]W_C = \int_C \mathbf{F} \cdot d\mathbf{r} = T_2 - T_1[/tex]

Newton's second law of motion is used. Hence, the force appearing in the line integral is actually the sum of all forces. Correct?

Now, on the other hand, if we have a conservative force [tex]\mathbf{F}_G[/tex] then we know that it can be represented by the negative of the gradient of its potential function, or

[tex]\mathbf{F}_G = - \nabla U[/tex].

But, then

[tex] W_C = \int_C \mathbf{F}_G \cdot d\mathbf{r} = U_1 - U_2, [/tex]

by the fundamental theorem of line integrals. If we equate the two expressions for work, we have

[tex] T_1 + U_1 = T_2 + U_2[/tex],

which leads to conservation of mechanical energy. However, doesn't this only apply if the ONLY force working on the particle in question is conservative? It seems like we're comparing apples and oranges here. In the work-energy theorem, we're talking about the work from the sum of all forces, whereas in the argument dealing with a conservative force, we're dealing with the work done only by that force. So if we have two different works (one from the sum of all forces and the other from just the conservative force), how can they be equated? It seems to me that this can only happen when the sole force working on the particle is the conservative force!

I have a feeling I've made a huge error in logic somewhere, but I can't seem to find it. Maybe I'm completely misunderstanding the arguments. I've consulted Kleppner's book and Marion and Thornton and am still not comfortable with the topic.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're right. To put it simply, energy is only conserved when you're dealing with conservative forces. That's why they're called conservative forces. :) If you have a non-conservative force, like friction, you don't have [itex]T_1+U_1=T_2+U_2[/itex]. Instead, you have [itex]T_1+U_1+W_{NC}=T_2+U_2[/itex], to account for the work of the non-conservative force.

How do we justify applying 'conservation of energy' to problems involving blocks sliding down (frictionless) planes? What about the normal force? Doesn't that throw a wrench into the whole works?

The normal force doesn't do any work because it's perpendicular to the direction of motion. So perhaps it would be more precise to say that energy is conserved when only conservative forces perform work.

Holy buckets. There it is. How did I overlook that?

Thanks for the help!

Just wondering that energy is always conserved if you know where it went.
But besides frictional forces,can you justify energy conservation if external forces perform work?
Change in mechanical energy=W(non-conservative)+W(external).

1. What exactly is the conceptual problem with conservation of energy?

The conceptual problem with conservation of energy is that while energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can change forms and be transferred from one system to another. This can sometimes make it difficult to accurately track and measure all forms of energy in a given system, leading to discrepancies in the conservation of energy principle.

2. Can you give an example of a situation where the conservation of energy principle may not hold true?

One example is a pendulum that does not come to a complete stop due to air resistance and friction, even though energy is continuously being lost in the form of heat and sound. Another example is a ball rolling down a hill, where some of its potential energy is converted to kinetic energy, but not all of it due to factors like friction and air resistance.

3. How do scientists account for the discrepancies in conservation of energy?

Scientists use advanced mathematical models and calculations to account for all forms of energy in a given system. They also take into consideration factors such as friction, air resistance, and other external forces that may affect the conservation of energy principle. In some cases, small discrepancies may be accepted as experimental error.

4. Does the conservation of energy principle apply to all types of energy?

Yes, the conservation of energy principle applies to all forms of energy, including mechanical, thermal, chemical, electrical, nuclear, and more. However, it is important to note that energy can be converted from one form to another, so the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant, but its form may change.

5. How does the concept of entropy relate to the conservation of energy principle?

The concept of entropy, which is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system, is closely related to the conservation of energy principle. In a closed system, the total amount of energy remains constant, but as energy is converted from one form to another, the overall entropy of the system increases, resulting in a decrease in the usable energy.