Conceptual question: light bulbs in simple DC circuits

In summary, the conversation discusses how light bulbs (or any resistor) react in DC circuits. The first question asks if removing a light bulb from its socket will stop the flow of current through the rest of the circuit, and the answer is yes, unless there are other paths for the current to flow through. The second question asks why two identical bulbs connected in series to a DC emf are not affected when a single earth ground connection is placed between them. The explanation is that the ground wire establishes a reference for the voltage source, allowing current to flow through both bulbs as before.
apocrypha
I have two quick questions about how light bulbs (or any resistor) react in (DC) circuits, as my book's not being very helpful.

A) If a light bulb is removed from its socket, ceteris paribus, does current stop flowing through the socket apparatus entirely, and if it precedes all other elements in a circuit, will it therefore cut current to the rest of the circuit? I'm pretty sure that the potentials will all still be there, correct? I mean, that's why you don't stick your finger in the socket when the switch is still on--you don't want to complete the circuit, right? :)

B) Two identical bulbs are connected in series to a DC emf. If a single Earth ground connection is placed between the two bulbs, why are they not affected? I think I'm misunderstanding how ground wires work. I understand from the facts I'm given that the ground wire can't suck up all of the electrons because some are still obviously reaching the wire, but why is this? Is there not a junction made here with one path leading toward zero potential, which is the preferred state? It's very confusing because it's not an electrostatic situation.

Thanks for any answers to this stuff. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
apocrypha said:
I have two quick questions about how light bulbs (or any resistor) react in (DC) circuits, as my book's not being very helpful.

A) If a light bulb is removed from its socket, ceteris paribus, does current stop flowing through the socket apparatus entirely, and if it precedes all other elements in a circuit, will it therefore cut current to the rest of the circuit? I'm pretty sure that the potentials will all still be there, correct? I mean, that's why you don't stick your finger in the socket when the switch is still on--you don't want to complete the circuit, right? :)

B) Two identical bulbs are connected in series to a DC emf. If a single Earth ground connection is placed between the two bulbs, why are they not affected? I think I'm misunderstanding how ground wires work. I understand from the facts I'm given that the ground wire can't suck up all of the electrons because some are still obviously reaching the wire, but why is this? Is there not a junction made here with one path leading toward zero potential, which is the preferred state?

Thanks for any answers to this stuff. :)

Welcome to PF.

A filament is a near short, as the light power is given by I2R, so for low R you get loads of I. Removing it from the circuit results in an open circuit across the socket unless there are other paths through other elements.

When you have two series bulbs across a battery and short the middle, then you have supplied an alternate path for current to flow to and from ground. Moreover you have established a reference for the voltage source. So long as there is potential across the bulb, as there will be by placing the ground reference midway between the + and - potential posts of the source, there will be current flowing through both as before. The effect will be however that the negative terminal will read as -V/2 and the Positive will read V/2. Whereas if you had attached ground to the negative terminal of the battery then you would have V - V/2 across the first bulb and V/2 across the second.

LowlyPion said:
Welcome to PF.

A filament is a near short, as the light power is given by I2R, so for low R you get loads of I. Removing it from the circuit results in an open circuit across the socket unless there are other paths through other elements.

Just a small note.
I think you mean that "is a near short" when is cold. When the bulb is ON the resistance is not so small. It's 144 Ohm for a 60W bulb and more than 200 Ohm for a 60 W bulb.
The current is less than 1 Amp. (0.5 A for 60W).
Only when you turn the bulb ON you have a large current, for a fraction of second.

Of course, it has no consequence for the following analysis.

1. How do light bulbs work in simple DC circuits?

Light bulbs work in simple DC circuits by converting electrical energy into light and heat energy. When a DC voltage is applied to the light bulb, it causes an electric current to flow through a thin filament inside the bulb. The filament heats up and emits light, allowing the bulb to produce light.

2. What is the difference between a series and parallel circuit for light bulbs?

In a series circuit, the light bulbs are connected end-to-end, so that the current flows through one bulb and then through the next. This means that if one bulb burns out, the entire circuit will be broken and all the bulbs will turn off. In a parallel circuit, the light bulbs are connected in separate branches, so that the current can flow through each bulb independently. This means that if one bulb burns out, the other bulbs will remain lit.

3. How do I calculate the brightness of a light bulb in a simple DC circuit?

The brightness of a light bulb in a simple DC circuit can be calculated by using the formula: P = IV, where P is power (in watts), I is current (in amperes), and V is voltage (in volts). This formula is known as Joule's Law and it states that the power dissipated by a resistor is equal to the product of the current through it and the voltage across it.

4. Can I use any type of light bulb in a simple DC circuit?

No, not all light bulbs can be used in a simple DC circuit. Incandescent light bulbs, which have a thin filament, are the most commonly used in DC circuits. LED light bulbs, which use semiconductors to emit light, can also be used in DC circuits. However, fluorescent and neon light bulbs, which require high voltage to operate, cannot be used in simple DC circuits.

5. What happens if the voltage in a simple DC circuit is too high for the light bulb?

If the voltage in a simple DC circuit is too high for the light bulb, it can cause the filament in the bulb to burn out quickly. This is because a high voltage will cause a higher current to flow through the filament, which will cause it to heat up and burn out faster. It is important to use the correct voltage for the type of light bulb being used in order to prevent damage and ensure the bulb's longevity.