1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conceptual Question on Angular Momentum.

1. May 9, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A Person sitting firmly over a rotating stool has his arms stretched. If he fold his arms, his angular momentum about the axis of rotation :
    A.) Increases
    B.) Decreases
    C.) Remains Unchanged
    D.) doubles

2. Relevant equations

Conservation of Angular Momentum

3. The attempt at a solution

Since External Torque =0
    Then final angular momentum = initial angular momentum
    => (C.)

But I wanted to further ask that in the Equation L=I*(omega)
    since L has to be constant(if external torque = 0) then:
    If I increases then omega decreases to keep L constant
    or if omega increases then I decreases to keep constant

Will folding his arms increase I( Moment of Inertia ) or decrease it??

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2016 #2
    by folding his arms the new moment of inertia of the system will increase /decrease?
    how moment of inertia depends on mass distribution? if a mass is farther from axis of rotation its moment of inertia should be larger as I= m.r^2
    L= I . angular velocity therefore a decrease/increase in I should result in the angular velocity to increse/decrease

4. May 9, 2016 #3
    Ok. Thanks! :smile: so if the mass is extremely close and external torque=0, then angular velocity will reach very high.

5. May 9, 2016 #4
    the example is ice-skating sport -there the rotation speed of skaters is increased or decreased by them using their arms folded or spreading out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted