Conceptual Question regarding hypothesis testing regression

In summary, the conversation discusses testing the coefficients of a regression model and the interpretation of the results. The null hypothesis is that one of the coefficients is equal to 0 and the alternative hypothesis is that it is not equal to 0. If the null hypothesis is rejected, it means that the predictor has some ability to predict the outcome variable, regardless of the effects of other predictors. However, it is possible for a statistically significant effect to not actually be significant due to correlations with other variables in the model.
Rifscape

Homework Statement

Hi,

I had a question regarding testing a regression models coefficients.

Say there is a regression model that has the form:

y = b0 + b1x1 + b2x2 + b3x3 + b4x4 + e

For the sake of simplicity let: e be the random error, x1 is age, x2 is severity, and x3 is anxiety. y is satisfaction.

Say I do a hypothesis test on the coefficient b1:

H0: b1 = 0

Ha: b1 is not equal to 0.

Say I get strong enough evidence to reject the null, and state that b1 is not equal to 0.

Does this mean that

1. age has some ability to predict satisfaction level even after the effects of severity and anxiety on satisfaction level have been taken into account?
or that

1. age has some ability to predict satisfaction level regardless of if the effects of severity or anxiety on satisfaction level have been taken into account.
I though that it was the second one, since this is testing the affect of one predictor, and since the null hypothesis was rejected, it means that it has some predictive power regardless of the other covariates. However, someone told me that it was the opposite.

I am not sure now, but if possible could someone please let me know which interpretation is correct and the reason it is correct?

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you for your reading

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?

Rifscape said:
Anyone?

Depending on the nature of the data, it is quite possible that a statistically significant effect is actually not significant at all. Suppose, for example, that in your sample you have five variables whose values are all highly correlated. It is possible that a 5-term linear regression has ##x_1## declared very significant, but with the "true" significance really being due to ##x_3##, say. The variable ##x_1## can look significant simply because it is correlated closely to ##x_3##.

1. What is the purpose of hypothesis testing in regression analysis?

Hypothesis testing in regression analysis is used to determine whether there is a significant relationship between a dependent variable and one or more independent variables. It helps to determine if the relationship observed in the data is due to chance or if it is a true relationship.

2. What is the difference between a null hypothesis and an alternative hypothesis in regression analysis?

A null hypothesis is a statement that assumes there is no relationship between the dependent and independent variables, while an alternative hypothesis is the opposite of the null hypothesis and assumes that there is a relationship between the variables. In regression analysis, the null hypothesis is typically that the slope of the regression line is equal to zero, while the alternative hypothesis is that the slope is not equal to zero.

3. How do you determine the significance of a regression coefficient?

The significance of a regression coefficient is determined by calculating a p-value. This value represents the probability of observing a relationship between the variables as strong as or stronger than the one observed in the data, assuming the null hypothesis is true. If the p-value is less than a chosen significance level (usually 0.05), then the regression coefficient is considered significant.

4. What is the difference between simple linear regression and multiple linear regression?

Simple linear regression involves only one independent variable and one dependent variable, while multiple linear regression involves two or more independent variables and one dependent variable. In simple linear regression, the relationship between the variables is represented by a straight line, while in multiple linear regression, the relationship is represented by a plane or hyperplane in higher dimensions.

5. Can regression analysis be used to make predictions?

Yes, regression analysis can be used to make predictions by using the regression line or plane to estimate the value of the dependent variable for a given set of independent variables. However, it is important to note that the accuracy of these predictions depends on the quality of the data and the assumptions made in the regression model.