Multiple regression analysis, econometrics, and statistics

In summary, the conversation discusses the true model for a population and the assumptions made about the error term, u. It then asks to find the expected value and variance of y (conditional on x1 and x2) and explores the consequences of falsely believing and using incorrect models for estimating parameters. The standard errors in these cases may not be valid due to bias and homoskedasticity. Assistance is requested for further understanding and solving the problems.
jasper90
I am sooo lost in this class, please help.

1. Let the true (population) model be y = B0+B1x1+B2x2+u where u is an unobserved error term with u (conditional) x1, x2 and N(0, sigma^2). Hence, u is normally distributed with mean 0 and variance sigma^2 (i.e., E[u (conditional) x1, x2] = 0 and V ar(u (conditional) x1, x2) = sigma^2) conditional on the observed sample. Also, assume that Cov(x1, x2) = sigma(x1x2) does not equal 0.
a) Find y hat = E[y (conditional) x1, x2]
b) Find Var(y (conditional) x1, x2)
c) Assume that the econometrician (falsely) believes that y = B0 + B1x1 + v is the true model and
uses OLS in order to estimate this model. What are the consequences of this in terms of bias and variance
(homoskedasticity) of parameter estimates. Are the standard errors from this regression valid? If not why?
d) Assume that the econometrician (falsely) believes that y = B0 + B1x1 + B2x2 + B3x3 + v is the true
model and uses OLS in order to estimate this model. What are the consequences of this in terms of bias and
variance (homoskedasticity) of parameter estimates. Are the standard errors from this regression valid? If
not why?Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
can anyone help? or does anyone have the link to a similar problem?

can someone help me out? i don't need the answer straight up, just need help even getting this started

is this right for a)?

yhat = E[y (conditional) x1, x2] = E[ B0+B1x1+B2x2+u (conditional) x1, x2] = B0+B1x1+B2x2

Last edited:
can someone help me with C and D? I am not rly sure what to do

1. What is multiple regression analysis?

Multiple regression analysis is a statistical technique used to analyze the relationship between multiple independent variables and a single dependent variable. It is commonly used in economics and social sciences to understand the impact of various factors on a particular outcome.

2. How is multiple regression analysis different from simple regression analysis?

Simple regression analysis involves analyzing the relationship between one independent variable and a single dependent variable. Multiple regression analysis, on the other hand, allows for the analysis of multiple independent variables and their combined effect on the dependent variable.

3. What is the purpose of econometrics?

Econometrics is the application of statistical methods and techniques to economic data in order to understand and analyze economic phenomena. Its purpose is to provide empirical evidence and quantitative analysis to inform economic decision-making and policy.

4. What are the assumptions of multiple regression analysis?

The assumptions of multiple regression analysis include:

• Linear relationship between the independent variables and dependent variable
  • No perfect multicollinearity, meaning the independent variables are not highly correlated with each other
  • Normality of residuals, meaning the errors are normally distributed
  • Homoscedasticity, meaning the variance of the errors is constant
  • No autocorrelation, meaning the errors are not correlated with each other

5. How do you interpret the coefficients in multiple regression analysis?

The coefficients in multiple regression analysis represent the estimated change in the dependent variable for a one-unit change in the corresponding independent variable, while holding all other variables constant. They can also be interpreted as the marginal effect of that independent variable on the dependent variable.