Conceptual question with Concentric Shell Potental

In summary, the conversation discusses the proper assumptions and calculations for finding the potential between two regions with a point charge and a spherical shell. The use of Gauss's law is emphasized to find the electric field and integrate from infinity to avoid confusion.
Manodesi524

Homework Statement

upload_2017-4-30_15-10-46.png

Homework Equations

upload_2017-4-30_15-11-15.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm able to arrive at the correct solution here, but I'm fairly sure that my line of reasoning is not proper.

1. For the outermost shell, I discard the inner two shell/charge, since their effective charge is zero. Is this a correct assumption?
2. In computing the potential between R1 and R2, I discard the space between the point charge and spherical shell since there is no net electric field emanating from them. This gives a potential of 0 for that middle Then, I add on the contribution from the outmost shell, which was previously computed. Is adding on the electric potential of the outermost shell without respect to the innermost shell appropriate here at the end?
3. Here is where I get very confused. I start by taking the potential from the point charge to R1. Simple enough. However, we previously calculated the potential from R1 to infinity in step 2, so my instinct would be to simply add that on since potential is a scalar. However, the final answer has a contribution from the middle component (-2Qk/R1) in it. Why does the middle layer suddenly start contributing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Manodesi524 said:
1. For the outermost shell, I discard the inner two shell/charge, since their effective charge is zero. Is this a correct assumption?
It's not an assumption. If you use Gauss's law in the region r > R2, the enclosed charge is +Q as if the inner charges weren't there.
Manodesi524 said:
This gives a potential of 0 for that middle
No. Again, application of Gauss's law says that the electric field is zero because the enclosed charge is zero. This makes the potential constant but not necessarily zero in that region.
Manodesi524 said:
3. Here is where I get very confused.
You will avoid confusion if
(a) You use Gauss's law first to find the electric field in all three regions.
(b) Integrate, starting at infinity. You need to do three integrals, one for each region using the expression for the E-field that you found in (a).

1. What is the concept of Concentric Shell Potential?

The concept of Concentric Shell Potential is a model used to describe the electric potential of a point charge surrounded by a series of concentric, conducting shells. It assumes that the charge distribution on each shell is uniform and the potential at each point is the sum of the potentials due to all the charges on the shells.

2. How is Concentric Shell Potential different from Coulomb's Law?

Concentric Shell Potential and Coulomb's Law are both used to determine the electric potential of a point charge. However, while Coulomb's Law considers the distance between the point charge and the other charges in the system, Concentric Shell Potential takes into account the distance between the point charge and the shells surrounding it. Additionally, Coulomb's Law is valid for all charge distributions, while Concentric Shell Potential is only applicable for uniformly charged shells.

3. Can Concentric Shell Potential be used to calculate the electric field?

No, Concentric Shell Potential only describes the electric potential at a point due to a point charge surrounded by concentric shells. To calculate the electric field, Coulomb's Law or other methods must be used.

4. What are some real-life applications of Concentric Shell Potential?

Concentric Shell Potential is commonly used in physics and electrical engineering to model the potential of a capacitor with concentric cylinders or spheres. It is also used in geophysics to study the Earth's magnetic field and in astrophysics to describe the potential of a charged star surrounded by a series of shells.

5. Is Concentric Shell Potential a realistic model for all situations?

No, Concentric Shell Potential is a simplified model that assumes ideal conditions, such as uniform charge distribution on the shells and perfect conductors. In reality, these assumptions may not hold and more complex models may be needed to accurately describe the electric potential in a system.