Capacitance of three concentric shells

• Thread starter Kashmir
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Capacitance
In summary: So the potential at radius a is just V=kq[1/a-1/c]. Similarly, the potential at radius c is just V=kq[1/c-1/a]. So the total potential at radius a+c is just V=kq[2/3-1/2]. This is just kq*[4*pi*epsilon], which is kq*[1]. So the capacitance is just C=Q/V.
Kashmir
Homework Statement
A friend of mine sent me this problem about finding the capacitance.
We have three concentric shells of radius a, b, c. And we've to find the capacitance between x and y.

I need help.

Thank you
Relevant Equations
C=Q/V
IMG-20230727-WA0003.jpg

I want to calculate the capacitance of this system between the points x&y.
So suppose I give a charge Q to the outermost shell and -Q to the innermost shell. To find the capacitance C, I try to find the potential V between the outermost shell and innermost shell .
To find V ,I integrate the electric field and find it out to be V=kq[1/a -1/c] where k=1/(4 *pi*epsilon). Then I can find C =Q/V.
Is this approach correct.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This approach is correct. You should get the capacitance between the outer and inner shells the usual way as if the middle shell were not there. The middle shell is affecting nothing because it is an equipotential surface at the potential that would be there if there were vacuum between the shells.

A slightly more interesting problem might be to find the capacitance if a thick concentric shell were placed in between having wall thickness, say ##d=\frac{1}{2}(c-a)## with equal vacuum gaps between conductors.

Likes Kashmir and berkeman
kuruman said:
This approach is correct. You should get the capacitance between the outer and inner shells the usual way as if the middle shell were not there. The middle shell is affecting nothing because it is an equipotential surface at the potential that would be there if there were vacuum between the shells.

A slightly more interesting problem might be to find the capacitance if a thick concentric shell were placed in between having wall thickness, say ##d=\frac{1}{2}(c-a)## with equal vacuum gaps between conductors.
Thank you. I’ll try your question :)

You don't need to do any integration. Just write down the potential at radius a due to the two shells. You know that the potential due to the outer shell there is the same as it is at radius c.

Likes Kashmir

What is capacitance?

Capacitance is the ability of a system to store an electric charge.

What are concentric shells?

Concentric shells are three cylindrical conductors with the same axis, where each shell is nested within the other.

How is capacitance calculated for three concentric shells?

The capacitance of three concentric shells can be calculated using the formula C = (2πε0εr) / ln(b/a), where ε0 is the permittivity of free space, εr is the relative permittivity of the material between the shells, b is the outer radius, and a is the inner radius.

What factors affect the capacitance of three concentric shells?

The capacitance of three concentric shells is affected by the distance between the shells, the radii of the shells, and the dielectric material between the shells.

How does the capacitance change if one of the shells is grounded?

If one of the shells is grounded, the capacitance is reduced as the grounded shell acts as a shield, reducing the electric field between the other two shells.