1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conceptual questions about projectile motion

1. Feb 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If the projectile is launched and lands at the same level. Then the angle is the same at launch and landing, correct? And if the projectile is launched from a different height, then the angle of launch is different than the angle of landing? In such a situation, if it says that a projectile hits the ground at an angle of 45 degrees, that tells you that final horizontal and vertical components are equal, right? But in calculating those components, you would still use the launch angle?

2. Relevant equations

x= vocos(theta)t
    vfy= vosin(theta)-gt

3. The attempt at a solution

I have outlined my views above. I just need to confirm that I am thinking about the situations correctly.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Not unless it was landing at the same level it was launched at.

If the level is different then the horizontal component is the same, but the vertical component of velocity is necessarily different, meaning that the |v| and the angle are necessarily different from the original |v| and angle of launch.

4. Feb 11, 2009 #3

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Yes, I think all you wrote is correct.
    The main thing in all these problems is to do the horizontal and vertical parts of the motion separately. Use x = vt horizontally and almost always y = Vot + .5at^2 and Vy = Vo + at vertically.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook