Conceptual questions about rotational dynamics.

In summary, we have a dumbbell with two masses attached at each end, rotating about a point. The distance between the two masses is R, and the two masses do not have the same mass. To double the rotational kinetic energy, the radius R must increase by a factor of √2 while keeping the angular velocity ω constant. This can be solved by setting the initial and final kinetic energies equal to each other and solving for R. Additionally, the object must be rotating in order to have a moment of inertia, as the moment of inertia depends on the axis of rotation.
-Dragoon-

Homework Statement

There is a dumbbell with two masses attached at each end, rotating about a point. The distance between the two masses is R, and the two masses do not have the same mass. m1 < m2

If the angular velocity ω is held constant, by what factor must R change to double the rotational kinetic energy of the dumbbell?

Homework Equations

[itex]I = mr^{2}[/itex]
[itex]r = \frac{R}{2}[/itex]
[itex]K_{rot} = \frac{1}{2}I\omega^{2}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Since [itex]r = \frac{R}{2}[/itex] and [itex]I = (m_{1}+m_{2})r^{2}[/itex], then [itex]K_{rot} = \frac{1}{2}[(m_{1}+m_{2})((\frac{R}{2})^{2})]\omega^{2} =>\frac{1}{2}[(m_{1}+m_{2})(\frac{R^{2}}{4})]\omega^{2}[/itex]

If Rotational kinetic energy is doubled and angular velocity is to be constant, then:
[itex]2K_{rot} = 2(\frac{1}{2}[(m_{1}+m_{2})(\frac{R^{2}}{4})]\omega^{2})[/itex]
[itex]2K_{rot} = \frac{1}{2}[(m_{1}+m_{2})(\frac{2R^{2}}{4})]\omega^{2}[/itex]
[itex]2K_{rot} = \frac{1}{2}[(m_{1}+m_{2})(\frac{R^{2}}{2})]\omega^{2})[/itex]

Thus, by my conclusion, R increases by a factor of two if the rotational energy is doubled but angular velocity is to remain constant. My book's answer is that R increases by a factor of square root of 2. What did I do wrong?

Also, one more conceptual question: If an object is not rotating, does it have a moment of inertia? The answer is no, correct? Since a moment of inertia depends on the rotation of axis and changes when an object is rotating about a different point, thus if an object is not rotating, then it does not have a moment of inertia since moment of inertia is the rotational equivalent of mass.

Physics news on Phys.org
Retribution said:
Thus, by my conclusion, R increases by a factor of two if the rotational energy is doubled but angular velocity is to remain constant. My book's answer is that R increases by a factor of square root of 2. What did I do wrong?
Try this:
KE1 = f(R1)
KE2 = f(R2)
Set KE2 = 2KE1 and then solve for R2 in terms of R1.

Also, one more conceptual question: If an object is not rotating, does it have a moment of inertia? The answer is no, correct? Since a moment of inertia depends on the rotation of axis and changes when an object is rotating about a different point, thus if an object is not rotating, then it does not have a moment of inertia since moment of inertia is the rotational equivalent of mass.
If an object isn't moving does it still have mass? Same idea here. Of course it has a moment of inertia (which depends on the axis you choose to rotate about).

Doc Al said:
Try this:
KE1 = f(R1)
KE2 = f(R2)
Set KE2 = 2KE1 and then solve for R2 in terms of R1.
The major mistake I made was to assume that R denoted the length, not the radius. In that case:
[itex]\frac{1}{2}(m_{1} + m_{2})(R_{2})^{2}\omega^{2} =2[\frac{1}{2}(m_{1} + m_{2})(R_{1})^{2}\omega^{2}][/itex]
Masses and angular velocity cancels out:
[itex]\frac{1}{2}(R_{2})^{2} =2[\frac{1}{2}(R_{1})^{2}][/itex]
[itex]R_{2} = \sqrt{2R_{1}}[/itex]

Thanks for all the help. I just wanted to know, is this the preferred method of going about solving these types of questions? I would usually plug in numbers, but that method mislead me into thinking I had the right answer.
Doc Al said:
If an object isn't moving does it still have mass? Same idea here. Of course it has a moment of inertia (which depends on the axis you choose to rotate about).
Ah, I see. Thanks.

Retribution said:
Thanks for all the help. I just wanted to know, is this the preferred method of going about solving these types of questions? I would usually plug in numbers, but that method mislead me into thinking I had the right answer.
It's how I would approach a problem like this. The main thing is to realize that the KE is proportional to R2. So to double the KE you need to multiply R by √2.

But doing it systematically reduces the chance for error. (And may lead to a deeper understanding.)

Your solution is correct. The book's answer may be considering a different scenario, such as keeping the total mass (m1 + m2) constant while changing the distribution of mass between the two masses. This would result in a different factor for R.

To answer your second question, yes, an object that is not rotating does not have a moment of inertia. Moment of inertia is a measure of how an object's mass is distributed around an axis of rotation, so if an object is not rotating, there is no need for this measurement.

1. What is rotational dynamics?

Rotational dynamics is the study of the motion of objects that rotate around an axis. It involves understanding the relationship between torque, angular velocity, and moment of inertia.

2. How is rotational dynamics different from linear dynamics?

Linear dynamics deals with the motion of objects in a straight line, while rotational dynamics deals with the motion of objects around an axis. In rotational dynamics, the concept of torque and angular velocity are used instead of force and linear velocity.

3. What is the moment of inertia and how does it affect rotational dynamics?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It depends on the shape and mass distribution of the object. Objects with a larger moment of inertia require more torque to achieve the same angular acceleration.

4. Can you explain the concept of angular momentum in rotational dynamics?

Angular momentum is a quantity that describes the rotational motion of an object. It is the product of the moment of inertia and angular velocity of an object. This means that an object with a larger moment of inertia will have a greater angular momentum even if it has the same angular velocity as an object with a smaller moment of inertia.

5. How is rotational dynamics applied in real-world situations?

Rotational dynamics has many practical applications, such as in engineering, robotics, and sports. It is used to design and analyze machines that involve rotational motion, such as motors and turbines. In sports, it is used to understand the movements of athletes and improve their performance. It is also used in the design of amusement park rides and in the study of celestial bodies.