1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conceptual questions about rotational dynamics.

1. Nov 26, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    There is a dumbbell with two masses attached at each end, rotating about a point. The distance between the two masses is R, and the two masses do not have the same mass. m1 < m2

If the angular velocity ω is held constant, by what factor must R change to double the rotational kinetic energy of the dumbbell?

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]I = mr^{2}[/itex]
    [itex]r = \frac{R}{2}[/itex]
    [itex]K_{rot} = \frac{1}{2}I\omega^{2}[/itex]
    3. The attempt at a solution
    Since [itex]r = \frac{R}{2}[/itex] and [itex]I = (m_{1}+m_{2})r^{2}[/itex], then [itex]K_{rot} = \frac{1}{2}[(m_{1}+m_{2})((\frac{R}{2})^{2})]\omega^{2} =>\frac{1}{2}[(m_{1}+m_{2})(\frac{R^{2}}{4})]\omega^{2}[/itex]

If Rotational kinetic energy is doubled and angular velocity is to be constant, then:
    [itex]2K_{rot} = 2(\frac{1}{2}[(m_{1}+m_{2})(\frac{R^{2}}{4})]\omega^{2})[/itex]
    [itex]2K_{rot} = \frac{1}{2}[(m_{1}+m_{2})(\frac{2R^{2}}{4})]\omega^{2}[/itex]
    [itex]2K_{rot} = \frac{1}{2}[(m_{1}+m_{2})(\frac{R^{2}}{2})]\omega^{2})[/itex]

Thus, by my conclusion, R increases by a factor of two if the rotational energy is doubled but angular velocity is to remain constant. My book's answer is that R increases by a factor of square root of 2. What did I do wrong?

Also, one more conceptual question: If an object is not rotating, does it have a moment of inertia? The answer is no, correct? Since a moment of inertia depends on the rotation of axis and changes when an object is rotating about a different point, thus if an object is not rotating, then it does not have a moment of inertia since moment of inertia is the rotational equivalent of mass.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2011 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Try this:
    KE1 = f(R1)
    KE2 = f(R2)
    Set KE2 = 2KE1 and then solve for R2 in terms of R1.

If an object isn't moving does it still have mass? Same idea here. Of course it has a moment of inertia (which depends on the axis you choose to rotate about).

4. Nov 27, 2011 #3
    The major mistake I made was to assume that R denoted the length, not the radius. In that case:
    [itex]\frac{1}{2}(m_{1} + m_{2})(R_{2})^{2}\omega^{2} =2[\frac{1}{2}(m_{1} + m_{2})(R_{1})^{2}\omega^{2}][/itex]
    Masses and angular velocity cancels out:
    [itex]\frac{1}{2}(R_{2})^{2} =2[\frac{1}{2}(R_{1})^{2}][/itex]
    [itex]R_{2} = \sqrt{2R_{1}}[/itex]

Thanks for all the help. I just wanted to know, is this the preferred method of going about solving these types of questions? I would usually plug in numbers, but that method mislead me into thinking I had the right answer.
    Ah, I see. Thanks.

5. Nov 27, 2011 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

It's how I would approach a problem like this. The main thing is to realize that the KE is proportional to R2. So to double the KE you need to multiply R by √2.

But doing it systematically reduces the chance for error. (And may lead to a deeper understanding.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook