Conceptual questions regarding fluid mechanics

In summary, the conversation consists of three conceptual questions related to fluid mechanics. The first question asks about the waterproof properties of cloth when wax is rubbed on it, the second question is about the apparent weight of a weightless balloon filled with water, and the third question is about the change in water level in a pond when a man drinks some of the water while sitting on a boat. The response to the second question explains that a weightless balloon filled with water has the same weight as the water itself.
shivam01anand

Homework Statement

I have some conceptual question in the fluid mechanics topics which has been bugging me for quite some time now.

1) When wax is rubbed on cloth why does the cloth become waterproof

2) A weightless baloon is filled with water. What will be the apparent weight when weighed in water.

3) A man is sitting on a boat which is floating in a pond. If he drinks some of the water in the pond What will be the net level of water in the pond change

s[/b]

The Attempt at a Solution

For 2 i think it will decrease because of the upward upthrust.

Physics news on Phys.org
As for (1) and (3) I'm not sure where your questions points at. As for your second question, a weightless balloon filled with water is just water being limited to a confined space so, asking how much the balloon weights in water is equivalent to asking how much does water weights in water. I guess you can get the answer yourself from that, right?

1. What is fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of fluids, which include liquids, gases, and plasmas. It deals with the properties of fluids and how they flow under different conditions.

2. What are the main principles of fluid mechanics?

The main principles of fluid mechanics are continuity, conservation of mass, conservation of momentum, and conservation of energy. These principles are used to analyze the behavior of fluids in various situations.

3. What is the difference between a liquid and a gas in terms of fluid mechanics?

The main difference between a liquid and a gas in terms of fluid mechanics is their compressibility. Liquids are considered to be incompressible, meaning their volume does not change significantly under pressure. Gases, on the other hand, are compressible and their volume can change with changes in pressure.

4. How is Bernoulli's principle used in fluid mechanics?

Bernoulli's principle states that as the speed of a fluid increases, its pressure decreases. This principle is used in fluid mechanics to explain the lift force on an airplane wing, the flow of water through a pipe, and various other phenomena related to fluids in motion.

5. What are some real-life applications of fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics has numerous real-life applications, including designing aircraft and spacecraft, predicting weather patterns, developing efficient car engines, designing water supply systems, and understanding the behavior of blood flow in the human body. It also plays a crucial role in many industries, such as oil and gas, chemical processing, and manufacturing.