1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conceptual questions in Fluid Mechanics

1. Oct 15, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Define:Static pressure
    Dynamic Pressure
    Continuum hypothesis
    Kinetic Viscosity
    Kinematic Viscosity

2. The attempt at a solution

The real question is : are these answers sufficient?

Static Pressure
    - The pressure exerted by a fluid on an object placed within the fluid is called the static pressure.

Dynamic Pressure - The pressure exerted by a fluid on an object that is moving through the fluid. This is given by:
    [tex] q = \frac{1}{2} \rho v^2 [/tex]

I get the feeling that this is wrong...

Continuum hypothesis - the region to be described can be subdivided into a set of (infinitesimal) volume elements, each of which simultaneously:
    1) is small enough to be considered uniform (i.e. any spatial variations in properties -- such as r, v,T, p -- inside the volume element are negligible); and
    2) is large enough to contain a statistically large number of molecules.

Kinetic Viscosity - I think he means dynamic viscosity
    The definition for dynamic viscosity is the force per unit area a liquid exerts on two parallel plates that enclose the liquid. I would be more concise with this explanation when i'm writing it out that is, i will give an example.

Kinematic Viscosity - The ratio of the dynamic viscosity and the density of the fluid.

I am not sure about the last two definitions, i think they are too short. However i have looked through a few textbooks - Lifsitz/Landau, Houghton/Carpenter (my course text), Batchelor, but none of them have yielded a satisfactory answer for the last two definitions.
    I would really appreciate your help!

Thank you

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?