Questions regarding Magnetorheological fluids

In summary, magnetorheological fluids are smart fluids that can increase their viscosity and become viscoelastic solids when subjected to a magnetic field. They are different from ferrofluids, which have smaller particles and are suspended by Brownian motion. MR fluids have various control-based applications and their yield stress can be controlled with an electromagnet.
dliu1004
Hello, has anyone worked with magnetorheological fluids before?

I plan on creating one for a project by using carbonyl iron powder, a surfactant, and some oil. I have heard that when subject to a current, these liquids basically become solids. However, I am not sure if they become complete solids. How much more viscous, or how much more solid do these liquids become when subject to a current?

Also, just to confirm, the viscosity should increase as the current increases as well, right?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
dliu1004 said:
Hello, has anyone worked with magnetorheological fluids before?

I plan on creating one for a project by using carbonyl iron powder, a surfactant, and some oil. I have heard that when subject to a current, these liquids basically become solids. However, I am not sure if they become complete solids. How much more viscous, or how much more solid do these liquids become when subject to a current?

Also, just to confirm, the viscosity should increase as the current increases as well, right?

Thanks!

I haven't used them before, but according to a couple articles that I found with a Google search, they respond to external magnetic fields, not to currents flowing through them. You would need to use something like a Helmholtz Coil or similar arrangement to generate a B-field through your material.

A magnetorheological fluid (MR fluid, or MRF) is a type of smart fluid in a carrier fluid, usually a type of oil. When subjected to a magnetic field, the fluid greatly increases its apparent viscosity, to the point of becoming a viscoelastic solid. Importantly, the yield stress of the fluid when in its active ("on") state can be controlled very accurately by varying the magnetic field intensity. The upshot is that the fluid's ability to transmit force can be controlled with an electromagnet, which gives rise to its many possible control-based applications. Extensive discussions of the physics and applications of MR fluids can be found in a recent book.[1]

MR fluid is different from a ferrofluid which has smaller particles. MR fluid particles are primarily on the micrometre-scale and are too dense for Brownian motion to keep them suspended (in the lower density carrier fluid). Ferrofluid particles are primarily nanoparticles that are suspended by Brownian motion and generally will not settle under normal conditions. As a result, these two fluids have very different applications.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetorheological_fluid

1647627678824.png

1. What are Magnetorheological fluids?

Magnetorheological fluids, also known as MR fluids, are a type of smart fluid that can change their viscosity in response to an external magnetic field. They are composed of tiny magnetic particles suspended in a carrier fluid, such as oil or water.

2. How do Magnetorheological fluids work?

When a magnetic field is applied to MR fluids, the suspended particles align themselves in the direction of the field, causing the fluid to become more viscous. This change in viscosity is reversible, and the fluid returns to its original state when the magnetic field is removed.

3. What are the applications of Magnetorheological fluids?

MR fluids have a wide range of applications, including shock absorbers in vehicles, dampers in buildings and bridges, haptic devices, and vibration control in machinery. They are also used in robotics, prosthetics, and medical devices.

4. What are the advantages of using Magnetorheological fluids?

One of the main advantages of MR fluids is their ability to change viscosity quickly and precisely, making them ideal for applications that require precise control of motion and vibrations. They also have a wide operating temperature range and can be easily integrated into existing systems.

5. Are there any limitations to using Magnetorheological fluids?

One limitation of MR fluids is their high cost compared to traditional fluids. They also have a limited shelf life and can degrade over time, requiring regular replacement. Additionally, the magnetic particles can settle at the bottom of the fluid if it is not used for a long time, affecting its performance.