Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conceptualizing higher dimensions

1. May 12, 2006 #1
    Stephen Hawking has said that even he cant comprehend higher than 3 dimensions in any intuitive way, only in a mathematical way. But in the course of studying advanced physics, does your intuitive understanding of higher dimensions grow at all, or do you just rely on the math???
  2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I find that things like Euler's characteristic

i.e. N = verticies - edges + faces

do more to help me "visualize" higher dimensions than, say, intrinsic curvature. Intrinsic curvature is a way of dealing with curvature without having to visualize it.
  4. May 15, 2006 #3
    I'm not sure many people try, but you can in part visualize higher dimensions. It's a little like those "spot the image" things in newspapers where you cross your eyes and a fuzzy colourful image clicks into 3D.

Search Google on Tesseract and Visualize.

5. May 20, 2006 #4
    one cannot fully understand the higher dimensions or lower dimensions. let try this, imagine that you are in 2nd dimension, not on the paper but an area in space.that mean u can only move forward,backward,left and right.like an ant.can you?or a point in space.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?