Unstable 5D Theories: The Search for Stable Black Holes in Higher Dimensions

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter TomServo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Relativity Stability
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 1K views
TomServo
Messages
281
Reaction score
9
I tried a cursory search for this but couldn't find it.

I was talking with my advisor about 5D theories such as those of Paul Wesson and Randall-Sundrum, and he said that I shouldn't spend too much time studying those theories because they are unstable, or require so many corrections to stabilize them that they become intractable. However, I find them intriguing anyway. I want to understand the stability problems he was talking about, such as imaginary mass and gravitational collapse of the extra dimension.

He gave me a paper that talked a little about it but I'm still not grasping what makes these theories so unstable so I might avoid this if I try to build my own model (as a side project to my main research).

Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
PAllen said:
As a start for discussion, can you link to the paper your advisor gave you?

https://arxiv.org/abs/0808.2055

He directed my attention to the first paragraph on the second page. I also think references 74-77 are supposed to be about the fine tuning necessary in 5D models.
 
TomServo said:
https://arxiv.org/abs/0808.2055

He directed my attention to the first paragraph on the second page. I also think references 74-77 are supposed to be about the fine tuning necessary in 5D models.
The highest number reference I see is 49.

I don't understand anything in the paragraph you mention as showing instability, but this is not remotely my area of expertise. However, with this reference, I hope someone else here might be able to help.
 
Try "Black Holes in Higher Dimensions", Gary Horowitz.