Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Concerning the momentum operator

1. Sep 22, 2009 #1
    If [tex]U[/tex] is an operator so [tex]U\Psi(x)[/tex] = [tex]\Psi(x-a)[/tex].

How can I show that [tex]exp(-iaP/h) = U[/tex]

where P is the momentum operator [tex]P = -ih(d/dx)[/tex]

I sense Fourier analysis

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2009 #2
    It's matter of Taylor expanding the right hand side. By definition this is just a sum of Psi and its derivatives. You can pull the Psi out of this Taylor series, and what's left is an operator (which is a sum of derivatives) acting on Psi(x). You'll recognise this operator as the series expansion of the exponent U.

4. Sep 22, 2009 #3
    What I do know that if I have a function F of an operator then

[tex]F(P)\psi[/tex] = [tex]$\sum_{i} c_iF(\lambda_i)\psi_i[/tex]

where [tex]\lambda_i[/tex] are the eigenvalues of [tex]P[/tex]

and [tex]c_i = <\psi_i,\psi>[/tex]

can I somehow relate all of this to the operator [tex]U[/tex]

5. Sep 22, 2009 #4
    naggy, there might be some connection with your last post.

But what xepma is pointing out is that

[tex]U=exp(-iaP/h)=exp[-a(d/dx)]=\sum{\frac{(-a)^n}{n!}\frac{d^n}{dx^n}}[/tex].

Applying U to [tex]\Psi(x)[/tex] is identical to the Taylor expansion of [tex]\Psi(x-a)[/tex] around x.

That's all there is to it.

6. Sep 22, 2009 #5
    A problem with this proof is that the operator identity is valid on L^2, and thus remains valid when applied to non-analytic psi(x) for which the Taylor expansion around x does not converge to psi(x-a). So, you have to fix this (which is not difficult).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook