Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Liquid Screw Propeller

1. Feb 10, 2009 #1
    Is it possible or will it be possible to keep some magnetic liquids in some desired geometry and use as a traditional screw propeller ?
    Is it patented or visioned before ?

Best regards ,

Mustafa Umut Sarac

Istanbul

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2009 #2

Danger

Gold Member

I've got to admit that you're probably the first to think of it. Why you would want to do it is beyond me, unless it's just the coolness factor.
    In any event, I doubt that it would be possible. The first and foremost problem that comes to mind is how to maintain a properly orientated field during rotation.

4. Feb 11, 2009 #3

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

While variable geometry props are definitely on people's minds (optimizing the prop's shape for different speeds), there's no way you could use a magnetic fluid to achieve it. We don't have the required technology to manipulate magnetic fields in the ways that would be required, nor can we generate sustained fields strong enough to hold the material together under the kind of stress a prop might see.

It's kind of a cool idea though.

5. Feb 11, 2009 #4
    Here is my idea.

It will be possible to make extreme strong nano tube tubes at the future.
    May be it will be possible to make a screw propeller form with extreme strong nanotube cables.
    Than apply nuclear power from submarine and hold a piece of magnetic liquid on the cables.
    Than engine starts to turn and magnetic liquid self form for the ideal screw propeller shape with the pressure of water.?

Thats what i think of ,

Best ,

Mustafa Umut Sarac

Istanbul

6. Feb 12, 2009 #5

Danger

Gold Member

That's a bit different, and more practical, but you still run into the problem that we can't as yet establish or maintain, let alone manipulate, sufficiently strong magnetic fields. You might be better off trying to do something with a shape-memory metal such as NiTiNOL.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook