Condition of simple harmonic motion

In summary: For the second image, in situations where x can exceed e+c the mass will oscillate at an amplitude greater than L0 and the spring may not work properly.
kelvin macks

Homework Statement

I was told that for an object to execute SHM, the x (distance displaced from the spring) can't be greater than e . Why is this so? i can't understand. can someone explain please?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• IMG_20140615_112224[1].jpg
    IMG_20140615_112224[1].jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 511
Physics news on Phys.org
kelvin macks said:
I was told that for an object to execute SHM, the x (distance displaced from the spring) can't be greater than e .
First, you understand that 'e' here does not mean 2.7..., right? It's just the label being used for a variable.
In the text you posted, it stands for the extension of the spring when the mass is hanging at equilibrium. When oscillating, the displacement x is relative to that equilibrium position, so the total extension of the spring is e+x.
I do not see anywhere in the text that says x cannot exceed e, so I assume someone else said this. Suppose it does. In SHM, if the displacement is at times x then at other times it is -x. So if x can exceed e it will also happen that the total extension can go negative. Whether that's a problem depends on the type of spring.
Many springs have an 'open' relaxed state. That is, they are capable of being compressed by some amount c before becoming closed up. For other springs, c = 0.
SHM should occur provided x does not exceed e+c.

haruspex said:
First, you understand that 'e' here does not mean 2.7..., right? It's just the label being used for a variable.
In the text you posted, it stands for the extension of the spring when the mass is hanging at equilibrium. When oscillating, the displacement x is relative to that equilibrium position, so the total extension of the spring is e+x.
I do not see anywhere in the text that says x cannot exceed e, so I assume someone else said this. Suppose it does. In SHM, if the displacement is at times x then at other times it is -x. So if x can exceed e it will also happen that the total extension can go negative. Whether that's a problem depends on the type of spring.
Many springs have an 'open' relaxed state. That is, they are capable of being compressed by some amount c before becoming closed up. For other springs, c = 0.
SHM should occur provided x does not exceed e+c.

well what happen if x exceed e ?

Haruspex explained that. The spring may stop working as a spring if |x| > |e|

In your diagram..

L0 = unstretched length of a tension spring.
L0+e = the length with the mass at rest.
x = displacement from L0+e

If the vertical displacement x is greater than e the mass will rise to a position above L0 and the spring may stop working as a spring. Many tension springs don't work in compression.

For example this type doesn't work in compression only tension..

This type will handle compression but only up to a limit..

20008236866166lg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person
CWatters said:
For example this type doesn't work in compression only tension..
Thanks for posting the two images. They explain it much better than I could in words.
For the first image, it may even be true that it only works as a spring under sufficient tension. It may be effectively under tension before it is expanded at all.

What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which an object moves back and forth along a straight line with a constant frequency and amplitude. It occurs when a restoring force is proportional to the displacement of the object from its equilibrium position.

What are the conditions for simple harmonic motion?

The conditions for simple harmonic motion are a restoring force that is directly proportional to displacement, a constant frequency, and a constant amplitude. Additionally, the object must be in an idealized, frictionless environment.

What is the equation for the position of an object in simple harmonic motion?

The equation for the position of an object in simple harmonic motion is x(t) = A*cos(ωt + φ), where A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, t is time, and φ is the phase angle.

What is the relationship between period and frequency in simple harmonic motion?

The period of a simple harmonic motion is the time it takes for one complete cycle of motion, while frequency is the number of cycles per unit time. The relationship between period and frequency is T = 1/f, where T is period and f is frequency.

How does damping affect the condition of simple harmonic motion?

Damping is the process of reducing the amplitude of a motion over time. In simple harmonic motion, damping can occur due to external forces or friction. When damping is present, the amplitude of the motion decreases over time, and the frequency may also change. However, as long as the restoring force is directly proportional to displacement, the motion can still be considered simple harmonic.