1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Condition of simple harmonic motion

1. Jun 15, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I was told that for an object to execute SHM, the x (distance displaced from the spring) cant be greater than e . Why is this so? i cant understand. can someone explain please?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2014 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

First, you understand that 'e' here does not mean 2.7...., right? It's just the label being used for a variable.
    In the text you posted, it stands for the extension of the spring when the mass is hanging at equilibrium. When oscillating, the displacement x is relative to that equilibrium position, so the total extension of the spring is e+x.
    I do not see anywhere in the text that says x cannot exceed e, so I assume someone else said this. Suppose it does. In SHM, if the displacement is at times x then at other times it is -x. So if x can exceed e it will also happen that the total extension can go negative. Whether that's a problem depends on the type of spring.
    Many springs have an 'open' relaxed state. That is, they are capable of being compressed by some amount c before becoming closed up. For other springs, c = 0.
    SHM should occur provided x does not exceed e+c.

4. Jun 16, 2014 #3
    well what happen if x exceed e ?

5. Jun 16, 2014 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Haruspex explained that. The spring may stop working as a spring if |x| > |e|

In your diagram..

L0 = unstretched length of a tension spring.
    L0+e = the length with the mass at rest.
    x = displacement from L0+e

If the vertical displacement x is greater than e the mass will rise to a position above L0 and the spring may stop working as a spring. Many tension springs don't work in compression.

For example this type doesn't work in compression only tension..

This type will handle compression but only up to a limit..

20008236866166lg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2017
  6. Jun 16, 2014 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Thanks for posting the two images. They explain it much better than I could in words.
    For the first image, it may even be true that it only works as a spring under sufficient tension. It may be effectively under tension before it is expanded at all.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted