1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conditional Probability and Drawing Cards

1. Oct 19, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A standard deck of 52 cards of 4 suits, each with 13 denominations, is well shuffled and dealt out to four players, N, S, E and W, who each receive 13 cards. If N and S have exactly ten cards of a specified suit between them, show that the probability that three remaining cards of the suit are in one player's hand (either E or W) is 0.22

2. Relevant equations

[itex]P(A | B) = \frac{P(A \cap B)}{P(B)}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I completed this question a few months ago with the solution:

[itex]\frac{2\binom{23}{10}}{\binom{26}{13}\binom{13}{13}} = 0.22[/itex]

Problem is, I have no idea how I got to that solution. I try now but end up with probabilities greater than 1, or very very small probabilities. Some clarification on how I got my solution, or how anyone would solve this, would be appreciated :)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Once N and S have their cards, there are 26 cards left for E and W, 3 of which are of the particular suit. For E to get all three, he must choose 3 from those 3 then 10 more from the remaining 23. Does that help?

4. Oct 19, 2012 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your formula is weird. It looks wrong, but happens by accident to deliver a correct result---essentially because some of the factors or divisors are 1.0, and so do not affect anything. I suggest you try to use a formula similar to yours on the problem of computing the probability that E gets 2 of the "special" cards (instead of 3). Then you really will see a difference between your formula and the correct one.

RGV

5. Oct 21, 2012 #4
    Yes :) Thank you! I see it now as give N and S their cards including ten from the suit. Then give the three remaining to either E or W (hence I mutliply by 2), then all that remains is for E or W to choose 10 cards from the 23 left over. Any other choices made cancel through division of the number of ways N and S can get 10 of a suit between them (the denominator). I think the lesson learnt here is to show all my steps :P

Thanks again guys :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook