1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conditional probability question

1. Jan 14, 2006 #1
    An insurance company runs three offices, A, B and C. The company's employess are distirbuted as follows; 30% work in office A, 20% in Off. B and 50% in Off. C.
    In office A 10% are managers, in office B 20% are managers and in office C 5% are managers

a. What is the total proportion of managers in the company?
    b. If a member of staff, randomly chosen, turns out to be a manager, what is the probability that she works in office A.

I've worked out part a, (0.3*0.1)+(0.2*0.2)+(0.5*0.05)=0.03+0.04+0.025=0.0 95 or 9.5%

I'm uncertian about part b though, I think it has something to do with conditional probability which is p(b given a)=p(a and b) divided by p(a), I think.

Thanks for the help. Edit: I did probability after calculus, but I don't know about the rest of you. That's why I posted it here.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2006 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Well, you know the chance of a person being a manager; you also know the chance of the person being BOTH a manager and in office A, so you've got what you need to find out the chance of a manager being in A..

4. Jan 14, 2006 #3
    So is this right?

p(a manager and in office A)=0.3*0.1=0.03

p(a manager)=0.095

0.03/0.095=0.31579

5. Jan 14, 2006 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Should be right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?