Conditional Probability and law of total probability

In summary, the chance that it rains given that the forecast predicts rain is 0.8. The probability that you do not have your umbrella given that it rains is 0.15.
HaLAA

Homework Statement

It rains in a city with a chance of 0.4. The weather forecast is not always accurate. When there will be a rain the next day, the forecast predicts the rain with probability 0.8; When there is no rain, the forecast falsely predicts a rain with probability 0.1. You take your umbrella every time rain is forecast, and you take your umbrella 25% of the times when rain is not forecast. Find the chance that it actually rains given that the forecast predicts rain. Given that it rains, what is the probability that you do not have your umbrella?

Homework Equations

Conditional probability

The Attempt at a Solution

Let R be the event about rain tomorrow, FR be the event about weather forecast predicts will rain tomorrow and U about I bring my umbrella.

I got the first part, P(R | FR) = P(FR | R)P(R)/(P(FR | R)P(R)+P(FR | R^c)P(R^c))

But I don't know how to do the second part.

Physics news on Phys.org
HaLAA said:

Homework Statement

It rains in a city with a chance of 0.4. The weather forecast is not always accurate. When there will be a rain the next day, the forecast predicts the rain with probability 0.8; When there is no rain, the forecast falsely predicts a rain with probability 0.1. You take your umbrella every time rain is forecast, and you take your umbrella 25% of the times when rain is not forecast. Find the chance that it actually rains given that the forecast predicts rain. Given that it rains, what is the probability that you do not have your umbrella?

Homework Equations

Conditional probability

Let R be the event about rain tomorrow, FR be the event about weather forecast predicts will rain tomorrow and U about I bring my umbrella.

I got the first part, P(R | FR) = P(FR | R)P(R)/(P(FR | R)P(R)+P(FR | R^c)P(R^c))

For these problems I always use a probability tree. Its especially useful when it gets complicated by a third variable.

PeroK said:
For these problems I always use a probability tree. Its especially useful when it gets complicated by a third variable.
I don't see how to draw probability tree.

HaLAA said:
I don't see how to draw probability tree.
Is that something you've never been taught?

PeroK said:
Is that something you've never been taught?
I never learn how to draw a tree

HaLAA said:
I never learn how to draw a tree
Ok. I suggest you work out the 4 probabilities: FR+R, FR+NR, FNR+R, FNR+NR and see whether that gives you any ideas.

HaLAA said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Conditional probability

Consider, say, 1000 identical days. The given data implies that in 400 of those days it will rain (R), while 600 of those days will have no rain (N).

In the 400 rainy days, forecasted rain (FR) occurred on 80/% × 400 = 320 days, and forecasted no rain (FN) on 400-320 = 80 days.

In the 600 non-rainy days, forecasted rain occurred on 0.1 × 600 = 60 days and forecasted no-rain on 600-60 = 540 days.

To summarize:
$$\begin{array}{c|cc|c}
& \text{R} & \text{N} & \text{Total}\\ \hline
\text{FR} & 320 & 60 & 380 \\
\text{FN} & 80 & 540 & 620 \\ \hline
\text{Total} & 400 & 600 & 1000
\end{array}
$$
From this table you can easily read off the solution to part 1, and you should get the same result as you do from using Bayes.

To do the second part, look carefully at the stated assumptions about U (the number of umbrella days) in the different cells of the table. Do you think that enough information was given in the problem to allow you to fill in the precise U-amounts in both cells of row FN? Does the second part have a unique solution, or are a variety of answers possible while respecting the precise wording given in the problem? Is there a most plausible solution?

After doing part 2 using the above tabular method, it might be fun to translate all that back into Bayesian language.

Last edited:

Related to Conditional Probability and law of total probability

1. What is conditional probability?

Conditional probability is the likelihood of an event occurring given that another event has already occurred. It is calculated by dividing the probability of the two events occurring together by the probability of the first event occurring.

2. How is conditional probability different from regular probability?

Conditional probability takes into account the occurrence of a specific event, while regular probability considers the likelihood of any event occurring. In other words, conditional probability is a more specific calculation compared to regular probability.

3. What is the Law of Total Probability?

The Law of Total Probability states that the total probability of all possible outcomes of an event is equal to one. It is used to calculate the probability of a specific event occurring by considering all possible outcomes.

4. How is conditional probability used in real-life situations?

Conditional probability is commonly used in fields such as statistics, finance, and healthcare to make predictions and decisions based on existing data. For example, it can be used to estimate the risk of developing a disease based on a person's age and lifestyle habits.

5. Can conditional probability be applied to more than two events?

Yes, conditional probability can be applied to any number of events. However, the calculations become more complex as the number of events increases. It is important to carefully consider all possible outcomes and their associated probabilities when dealing with multiple events.