1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conditions for pulleys and strings

1. Jun 11, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Why are pulleys frictionless and massless in the pulley questions? What would happen if they are not frictionless and not massless?
    Why are the strings connecting the blocks in pulley questions massless and inextensible? What would happen if they are not massless an not inextensible?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2013 #2
    Consider each part of your question separately: e.g., what would happen if a pulley were massive and a force were applied to it?

4. Jun 11, 2013 #3
    I don't know ...I am asking that..sorry but could you please explain a bit more?

5. Jun 11, 2013 #4
    Take a simple case: a rope goes over a massive pulley, with two unequal masses at its ends. Clearly the masses will be accelerating. And the pulley will have to accelerate with them. But it is massive, i.e., it has inertia. How do you think this will affect its acceleration, and the acceleration of the masses?

6. Jun 11, 2013 #5
    What I think of it

Intuitively I think that it would be difficult to rotate the pulley as it would we wanting to stay in its position of rest so it would apply friction to the tension to the string going over it, so it would hinder the actual acceleration of the blocks due to friction and we'll get a lesser value..is that it?
    But this involves friction also...what would happen when the pulley is friction less but has mass and therefore has inertia? Also I think that the strings are mass less so that tension is same throughout the string. if the string wouldn't be mass less then different part of the string would have different tension..What about it being in-extensible?

7. Jun 11, 2013 #6
    Massiveness and friction are independent. They have separate effects.

Massiveness of strings is similar to massiveness of pulleys. You would need to take into account their own motion.

Finally, an extensible string is also known as "spring".

8. Jun 11, 2013 #7
    Inability

Ok..thanks for that but I am unable to conclude the effect(s) that would arise out of massiveness and friction..could you please tell them with the explanation? What I thought I wrote above..rest I don't know whether they are correct or not..

9. Jun 11, 2013 #8
    I think that an extensible string would mean that the object connected with it would be having different accelerations...

10. Jun 11, 2013 #9
    Massiveness = inertia.

Friction = resistance to motion.

11. Jun 11, 2013 #10
    So what would inertia do? The pulley would spin slowly but will that have any effect on the values of tension and acceleration in the string and blocks respectively?

12. Jun 11, 2013 #11
    Think again on #4: how would that be different if the pulley was massless.

13. Jun 11, 2013 #12
    The string would slide/skid over the pulley rather than moving with it..is that correct? I need this for an assignment please if you know tell..its urgent! :)

14. Jun 11, 2013 #13
    That is a possible outcome if the pulley is very massive, and the static friction between the string is pulley is not very great, and the tensile strength of the string is high. Do you see how many complications you may have if your pulleys and strings are not ideal?

15. Jun 11, 2013 #14
    So if the string DOES skid what are the effects? I don't see any..

16. Jun 11, 2013 #15
    And if it does NOT?

17. Jun 11, 2013 #16
    Even then nothing happens..

18. Jun 11, 2013 #17
    So mass is a meaningless concept for you, then.

19. Jun 12, 2013 #18
    Had I known the answer to that I wouldn't have started the thread in the first place! If you know it please tell it! nothing more that I can say!

20. Jun 12, 2013 #19
    I think that the acceleration of the pulley would also have to be added to the masses connected via the string since tension in the rope acts as torque to the pulley..so the pulley rotates and would have an angular acceleration..as a result it would be having a tangential acceleration which won't play any role for the pulley but would impart that tangential acceleration to the string which in turn would impart the extra acceleration to the bodies connected by the string..Is that correct?

21. Jun 12, 2013 #20
    This is not exactly correct, but you are going in the right direction. It is true that a massive pulley will have to accelerate, and its acceleration depends on its mass. Because the pulley and the masses are connected with a rope, their accelerations must be equal (at least when the rope is not skidding) - and what does that mean?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted